Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Off season fitness

RidgeRoamingRichard

I thought I would share my workout with you all. I do this on days that I don't make it to the woods or the gym. Its free, assuming you have a hunting pack, and really simulates some of the stresses of packing a long way.

Put on your pack with as much weight as you can while still being able to move. I do three rounds of this circuit without removing the pack:
10 x low squats (butt should hit your heels)
10 x lunges
10 x calf raises (stand on edge of stairs or a box)
10 x step ups (as high of a surface as you can, alternating legs)
10 x jump thrusts (jump straight up as high as you can. Be sure to compress on the landing or the jolt will hurt your knees)

There are definitely many more exercises you could add, but this is a basic circuit. Does anyone else do this? How do you all stay in shape?

I am fortunate I can hike from my house..a loop on snow-packed gravel roads up a ridge at the start of the loop
and up another steep hill at the end of the loop. I may see 1-2 vehicles in my loop, and they are
neighbors who always slow down and wave. I hike with a 50lb backpack 3-5 days a week and
with no pack twice the distance at least 2 times per week.
I gradually lengthen my hikes until snow melts.

I'm 63 years old so off-season fitness is important....
I prefer to hike the hills of my rural neighborhood with a backpack.
I'd rather hike at -30 F outside than work out inside...I find it easier to enjoy backpacking outside.
I used to run every morning before work, now that routine is a backpack loop.
I like to fine-tune each backpack and break in any new boots before snow melts...

I also cross-country ski, skijor and log for firewood during the winter.

The one exercise I do is calf raises....4-5 times daily
My twin brother suffers from plantar fasciitis, and I would get sore feet after a long hike if I do not
consistently do those calf or toe raises.

I am fortunate I can hike from my house..a loop on snow-packed gravel roads up a ridge at the start of the loop
and up another steep hill at the end of the loop. I may see 1-2 vehicles in my loop, and they are
neighbors who always slow down and wave. I hike with a 50lb backpack 3-5 days a week and
with no pack twice the distance at least 2 times per week.
I gradually lengthen my hikes until snow melts.

I'm 63 years old so off-season fitness is important....
I prefer to hike the hills of my rural neighborhood with a backpack.
I'd rather hike at -30 F outside than work out inside...I find it easier to enjoy backpacking outside.
I used to run every morning before work, now that routine is a backpack loop.
I like to fine-tune each backpack and break in any new boots before snow melts...

I also cross-country ski, skijor and log for firewood during the winter.

The one exercise I do is calf raises....4-5 times daily
My twin brother suffers from plantar fasciitis, and I would get sore feet after a long hike if I do not
consistently do those calf or toe raises.
I guess we are doing more than most!

Pickup basketball twice a week and 3 or 4 hikes a week with the dog. I say hike but were really just wandering around aimlessly. I do wear my backpack I'd say 50% of the time while hiking.
If the weather is nice enough we also try to walk the outdoor range and shoot once a week.
These are not necessarily to stay in shape I just cant sit still.

I bike a lot for cardio and run because the Army says I have to run (I loved running until I was in). In the gym, I mainly just work at keeping a strong core. I'm no physical specimen but I'm working on it. I am going to start a pack routine here shortly.

63 and 62! I'm getting put to shame! Very impressed you guys are still out there charging.
I'm not as old as those guys, better getting there, 60 in July.
There isn't an off season in the UK, but then again we aren't climbing mountains at altitude.
I try and do a 5k park run every Saturday, in between a 10k run with my running club.
That is it for me, if I come back to the Rockies one day I'll up it to take in weighted packs and long walks, works for me.
Cheers
Richard

My wife and I lift weights together a couple times a week. Last year I ran two half marathons. All my cardio this year will be high intensity stuff instead of long runs. I need to shrink my growing midsection.

I work in a chemical plant. As part of my everyday duties and routines, I ruck a pack full of tools and water bottles about 45 to 50 lbs up and down ladders and stairs. I usually cover several miles per day, mostly up and down. On the weekends, I mow grass (year around this far south), dig in the garden, and split wood.
I find come hunting season, I'm actually physically working less hard.

I can hike out my back door, as many miles as I want, nice and steep too, wear my full set up, bino harness, rifle, pack with various amount of weight depending on what I want to work on. Working on setting up 200, 300, 400 yard ranges so I can hike up the first hilltop and shoot after getting the heart pumping.

I split firewood in the winter and make loops checking trail cameras in the summer with 50 lb bag of sacrete in my mystery ranch. Just had 4th knee surgery couple days ago so probably more biking and light weight stuff this spring.

I'm coming 69 this spring. I lift weights and walk a treadmill three days a week. That has been a regular routine over the last number of years. The weightlifting has been especially beneficial.

Once the weather allows, I ride my three horses into shape by riding one of them most days for an hour or two.

Back