Off season fitness

I started walking to work a few weeks ago, it’s 1.9 miles one way. I also started getting up at 5 and either run 2 miles (M,W,F)or do some sort of home workout (T,TH,S). Debating getting a gym membership and going after work since I walk past it on the way home.

I’m 42 and I started all this not for hunting but because I just wanna be more healthy. If it helps come hunting season that is just an added bonus.

With my chosen career I drive a desk for an unholy amount of hours, and needed to make some health changes. Right now I run a few miles M-W-F, T-TH-Sat I go on hikes with the lady friend and carry 50-60 lbs in a pack for a few miles. Crunches and pushups daily, and plenty of bow shooting. Should probably add more weight training.

I don't get much extra time during the offseasons it seems like anymore so a daily workout at the gym is about as good as it gets. For a couple seasons I would fall into the stagnant workouts, same shit different day. It seemed like a good mix but I needed more, and to push myself harder. I bought into the mountain tough fitness programs and they're freakin awesome. They've helped me tremendously and I can see a definite change for the better. They have some free ones on you tube to try or on their website. I encourage all to try, you'll definitely see where your lacking real quick.
I’m 4 weeks into the Backcountry Prep program. I started it last year and only made it about 5 weeks in and fell out of the routine due to work, summer vacations, family, etc etc. After stepping on a scale post-quarantine, I’m determined to stick with it this summer. Love the program and how it pushes you out of your comfort zone, and can already tell it’s making a difference.

Did something pretty similar this morning in fact. Deep lunges w/weights, pushups, burpies w/weights, run up stairs w/weights, bicep curls, sit-ups, rinse & repeat.

Oh, and I run 3-5 miles a day about 5 days a week.

I like to switch up my work outs from just slamming weight and doing cardio to functional movements and HIIT. At 39 this type of routine allows me to keep my body guessing and actually helps me break through plateaus while improving functionality in my everyday normal movements. Typical week for me is:

M: Legs/Abs (Squats, walking lunges, dead lifts, etc.)
T: Back/Biceps (Rack Pulls, Lats Pulls, bicep curls etc.) and cardio (30 minutes of running, stair stepper, or row machine)
W: Shoulders/ Abs (weights and functional) Lots of kettlebell swings, presses, and negative resistance movements.
TH: Chest/Triceps (Bench Press, Decline Press, Fly's, tricep Extensions, etc.)
F: HIIT/Abs 40 minutes or 6-8 rounds (depends on the number of exercises) of circuit 30 sec work/15 sec rest, 60 seconds between rounds. (Burpees, High Knees, Bicycles, Squat Jumps etc)
S: Stretch/Rest
SU: Cardio 40 minutes.

This works for me!(y)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back