Off season fitness

Like Nick, my training level and diet depends on my predicted tags for the year. The last 2 years has been Eastern WY and Western SD for antelope and Mule deer. Busch Light and Pepsi were good enough hydration staples. Elk this year. Gotta kick it up a notch!

I don't get much extra time during the offseasons it seems like anymore so a daily workout at the gym is about as good as it gets. For a couple seasons I would fall into the stagnant workouts, same shit different day. It seemed like a good mix but I needed more, and to push myself harder. I bought into the mountain tough fitness programs and they're freakin awesome. They've helped me tremendously and I can see a definite change for the better. They have some free ones on you tube to try or on their website. I encourage all to try, you'll definitely see where your lacking real quick.

I've unfortunately become a desk jockey with my career. And really regret it when doing physical labor around the house and hunting. Even if it's not a strenuous hunt like slipping through the woods, having better leg strength and balance helps to hunt better for longer peroids.

I've started every hour getting up and walking 3 flights a stairs a couple times. Often going up two steps at a time. Reading the OP got me thinking. A lot of my evenings have been involved working my new pup. I walk some, but mostly stand around. I could load my pack when we go out and do a few squats, lunges, ets. while we are out together.

Mainly I’m just doing a lot of running. Usually I get in 4 days a week. Last year I trained for 10 months and ran my first marathon 2 days before I left for my New Mexico trip. All that cardio helped me out a ton. I would still get winded when climbing at elevation but seemed to recover a lot quicker. I’m working in more strength training this year. I hit the gym when I can as well as 50+ pushups a day. I also currently take the stairs up to the 22nd floor of the building I’m working in. I do that twice a day.

During the winter I strictly focus on gaining strength so normal exercises (squats, lunges, curls, 5,000 types of presses, etc..) with heavy weight and low reps and little to no cardio. Once spring hits I start mixing in cardio, hikes with a heavy pack, and switch to lower weight with higher reps when I lift. The last month or so before hunting season its nothing, but heavy hikes and running. Personally, I'm not a fan of high intensity workouts. With my career and hunting style, training for endurance in lieu of short "sprints" is more applicable. Also, stretching lots and lots of stretching.

I'm simple. I try and lift 3 - 4 days per week, preferably M - F so I can relax on the weekends with the family. And I rotate between the following "workouts" and try to add weight every week.

Bench Day:
Flat Bench Press (3 - 5 reps, 3 sets)
Barbell Rows (5 - 10 reps, 3 sets)
Pushups (AMRAP 3x)

Squat Day:
Squats (3 - 5 reps, 3 sets)
Standing barbell overhead press (5 - 10 reps, 3 sets)
Barbell Curls (AMRAP 3x)

Deadlift Day:
Deadlifts (3 - 5 reps, 3 sets)
Incline Bench Press (5 - 10 reps, 3 sets)
Pull Ups(AMRAP 3x)

I strap on a pack (with lots of crap I don't need in it for extra weight) and bino harness and hit the woods. I'll call it hiking. Usually I'm on deer trails following those around the woods watching carefully. Haven't found anything yet this year to call it shed hunting, but hopefully one of these days I can change that lol.

I climb trees, drag branches, and carry logs every day. Seems to do the trick for now and try to fit in as many family hikes as possible. I just throw extra weight in when we go to make of for the slower pace.

Javelina and turkey hunts in the spring.

Rucksack, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges and squats in the summer...

Ready for the fall.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back