NY Bear Hunting 2020

dels322

Wondering if anyone has had experience or tips on hunting black bear in either the Adirondacks or the Catskills in NY.

Last year my buddy and I had a back packing trip planned for the Adirondacks ended up attempting a bear hunt while we are up there, with very little prep for the early season. Needless to say we got our butts handed to us. Looking to do the same this coming year just with a shade more prep. If anyone has some tips for either the Catskills or the Adirondacks let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

The 2017 2018 and 2019 Bear numbers have me looking at units 3A, 3C, or 3K for the Catskills for early season. Though I have a bone to pick with the Adirondacks now, am looking at 5G, 5H 6C or 6F. Significantly greater numbers in the southern zone.

Welcome to the group. I may be out there too looking for bear in the same areas. haven't decided for sure. Not sure exactly what I'd do with a bear if'n I actually was so fortunate to get one. I did see one couple years back coming down from a backpack hike. Saw lots of sign, only one (small) bear.

the southern zone 3a ect is the way to go for sure considering numbers and access, Dont over look DEP land

Yeah I would like to think I would hold out for a larger bear. We used to have a camp up north and you would see them around when I was a kid up near Utica. Living on Long Island and not having seen one since I was about 8 would be a thrill. there used to be a trail around the lake at camp we would ride our bikes around you would see them.

I have a few recipes in mind if I pull it off.

I spent some time looking at 3k today there is not much in the way of large tracts of land that could be still hunted.

I have to take a hard look at 3a see what areaswill take me away from people and higher up in the mountains. My big take away from last year was the dramatic increase in use near the weekends in the adirondacks. I can only imagine it would be greater in the Catskills with the proximity to the city. So I am thinking of doing a Sunday to Thursday trip or something.

Weekends hiking the catskills, lots of folks around, speaking generally. I was out scouting too yesterday, beautiful day to be out.

I used to do quite a bit of bear hunting near Forestport in unit 6J and although we did have some success it is very difficult hunting in the big timber. Lots of bears up there but the large tracts of contiguous wooded timber makes it very difficult to get on bears.

Technically my first backpack hunts were in the Adirondacks for deer and bear, even though I had zero idea what I was doing lol. I hunted near Old Forge and never saw a thing except for other hikers.

Its been on my wishlist to travel back and hunt the high peaks for bear for a week in Oct. when the hikers have thinned out.

I hunted the southern part of 3A last Sept and didn't see anyone else in the woods in the 3 days I hunted. Like Empire mentioned, lots of people around, but if they do venture into the woods they're probably going to stick to the clearly marked trails.

I was out in 3K today, didn't see anything and darn if the temperature didn't drop like 15 degrees in 10 minutes this afternoon and I wasn't really prepared. I hadn't been to 3K before so was just a high-level macro "scout" getting familiar with the area. Next weekend will go north of there and see what we can find. Anyone have experience during the early season hunt in NY?

I love archery bear hunting here in Pa and NY is kinda the same with the difference you can use scent
Ive taken 3 pa archery bear in 10 yrs close to my 4th last yr so have a little experience and I start scouting in june with 10 or 12 cams checking every 3 weeks over the summer all over food, and move cams according to what im seeing all summer and early fall finding the most used trails and as food source changes. With doing that I watch 10 to 15 different bear all summer and see bears from my stands all the time and get lucky about every 2nd or 3rd yr

Revisiting this with the continued lockdown precautions.

Anyone have experience in the Hunter/West Kill area? Looks pretty deciduous on Onx, and the NYSDEC mapper. Looks like there is a section that has minimal trails, so decreased weekend disturbance.

I have not, but it's a goal of mine to get a public land deer and bear in NY in the next 2 to 3 years. Catskills and Adaks are definitely on the 2020 - 2021 menu.

I think baiting, drives, stand hunting, etc are popular for a reason they are effective. That said I definitely want to take a swing a hunting the east the same way I do the west just to see what happens.

I have a feeling it will end up as a long armed hiking trip.

Revisiting this with the continued lockdown precautions.

Anyone have experience in the Hunter/West Kill area? Looks pretty deciduous on Onx, and the NYSDEC mapper. Looks like there is a section that has minimal trails, so decreased weekend disturbance.

I know the area well. As far as bear goes it will be up there with some of the highest densities in the state. Even still its not given.

I punched a bear at scout camp years ago in the Adirondacks when it brushed our tent and thinking it was out scouts messing around. It just gave a little growl and kept walking. I hunted some oil and gas land and public last year around Olean and found a bear bed of a small bear that was watching the parking lot and tracks went everywhere from that spot. Got on a huge track of a bear that guy that shot a few said would weigh 400 over in south valley state forest. Walked same area 3 times in a week from tracks in snow. Cant wait to go back this year and try for him again.20191117_104933.jpg

Wondering if anyone has had experience or tips on hunting black bear in either the Adirondacks or the Catskills in NY.

Last year my buddy and I had a back packing trip planned for the Adirondacks ended up attempting a bear hunt while we are up there, with very little prep for the early season. Needless to say we got our butts handed to us. Looking to do the same this coming year just with a shade more prep. If anyone has some tips for either the Catskills or the Adirondacks let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

The 2017 2018 and 2019 Bear numbers have me looking at units 3A, 3C, or 3K for the Catskills for early season. Though I have a bone to pick with the Adirondacks now, am looking at 5G, 5H 6C or 6F. Significantly greater numbers in the southern zone.
I'll be in the Catskills the weekend of September 12th for early season as well. I'm afraid I can't add a lot to the conversation about locations or bear behavior but if you'd like to compare notes after the season feel free to PM me. I'm up near Binghamton.

I'll be in the Catskills the weekend of September 12th for early season as well. I'm afraid I can't add a lot to the conversation about locations or bear behavior but if you'd like to compare notes after the season feel free to PM me. I'm up near Binghamton.
I'll be hunting that weekend as well in 3A. Last year was my first year hunting that area and saw a lot of sign and one bear but no shot opportunity. Hoping this year I'll get lucky.

I'll be hunting that weekend as well in 3A. Last year was my first year hunting that area and saw a lot of sign and one bear but no shot opportunity. Hoping this year I'll get lucky.

It looks like I am going to be up the following week looking at 9/22-9/27. One of the guys at work has a guided hunt planned opening week in ME so I cant bail out.

Starting to piece together my gear and have been hiking locally, getting ready.

Update: Got blanked. Three of use spread out over a couple of square miles with scent and prey calls. We didn't see any. We saw lots of deer sign. Best of luck to all.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back