NV elk units 161-164, 171-173 early rifle

lappel65

Hello everyone.
I know it can be considered a little obtuse to request information on a particular hunt in my first post to a forum. I apologize to those whom are offended. However, time is short and I have not always been known to be tactful.
I'm an older, solo, usually D.I.Y. hunter. I've harvested a few elk in the past, however, I believe this might be my best [possible my last] opportunity to hunt a really nice bull.
Is there anyone with knowledge about these units whom is willing to share?
Is Table Mountain the only reasonable option to try to achieve this goal[exceptional bull]?
If so, does anyone know of a ethical packer/outfitter that is willing to drop camp/guide for an affordable fee?
Any information will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance and best of luck on your hunts this year. "The harder you hunt, the luckier you will be".

A little obtuse?

ob·tuse
əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/Submit
adjective
annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
synonyms: stupid, slow-witted, slow, dull-witted, unintelligent, ignorant, simpleminded, witless; More

A little obtuse?

ob·tuse
əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/Submit
adjective
annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
synonyms: stupid, slow-witted, slow, dull-witted, unintelligent, ignorant, simpleminded, witless; More

Thanks for the valuable input.

There is an outfitter that has a drop camp at the top of the range...but I don't think they will let you use it for elk...only early archery; Timberline outfitters. There are 2 timberlines in Nev....one is out east.....this one is out of tonopah I think and one of the guys name is Pard- great guy.

Northern part of the monitors is roaded. Southern part is remote....probably your best option. Its big country, being dropped in one spot is not the best strategy IMO, you need to be mobile. That area used to be great archery deer hunting but not anymore...the elk have taken over. [I know, I know elk aren't supposed to be an effect on deer...maybe its the lions then, I don't know]

BTW, hunt high....good luck.

There is an outfitter that has a drop camp at the top of the range...but I don't think they will let you use it for elk...only early archery; Timberline outfitters. There are 2 timberlines in Nev....one is out east.....this one is out of tonopah I think and one of the guys name is Pard- great guy.

Northern part of the monitors is roaded. Southern part is remote....probably your best option. Its big country, being dropped in one spot is not the best strategy IMO, you need to be mobile. That area used to be great archery deer hunting but not anymore...the elk have taken over. [I know, I know elk aren't supposed to be an effect on deer...maybe its the lions then, I don't know]

BTW, hunt high....good luck.

Appreciate the input Beendare. You are the second person to suggest hunting north as an option. Perhaps, considering my age, conditioning, funding and the fact that I will be solo hunting, it will be my best option. However, I will contact Timberline and see what Pard has to say. Glad to hear that there are more elk. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that when elk are present, the deer population is generally reduced. Mountain lions are always a problem. At least they can be hunted in Nevada, unlike California. Good hunting.

Yea well it's amazing how many guys come here and do just what you did and ask for info on their first post.

At least he directly acknowledged it.

lappel65, good luck on your hunt.

I have a deer/cow tag and was there scouting in July. I saw a couple nice bulls in the Big Flat Summit Mnt area. I hiked up onto Table Mtn. It's beautiful elk country, but without horses would be quite the pack out. If anyone has any suggestions on cows, any would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've never been there but my friend killed a toad in 2011. She pulled the rut rifle tag when there were only 10 available. They talk very highly of Table Mt. I'm glad that guys are giving you good advice, because most guys on HT aren't rude! Good luck to you!

Also, I talked to a couple of guys while there who said last year one of their party got a bull on the ridge south of Charnac Basin. East of where the 129 roads cuts off of the 513 (514 on some maps) toward Brock Canyon. Lots of aspen along there and supposedly a pond. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Let us know how it goes. I'm so stoked I can't wait. 3 long long painful weeks.... Lol

I head in there next week with a muzzleloader elk tag in my pocket. Have both weeks set aside for the hunt. You're welcome to come do a little scouting and help haul out the spike I plan to shoot.

LOL. I would love to! Unfortunately work has no sense of humor and won't give me anymore time off. Good luck!

Interested in this area too

I've hunted in many places throughout Nevada (mainly for Mule deer). However, I'll be taking my 14 nonresident Elk pts and apply this year.
I'm considering this as a possible area, but have a couple questions if anyone is willing to share some advice.
Outside of the Table Mountain Wilderness Area, are there any other areas in these units where vehicle travel is restricted?
On past hunts, we take the Jeep in as far as the road will go and hike from there.
Can a hunter find a Bull outside of the wilderness area? Are horses needed for this area or just a luxury?

Bye the way, I know this is my first reply\post, but this forum is great!

Plenty of areas outside of the wilderness to explore but the the wilderness holds the bulk of the elk in the units.

I had a great time in the wilderness this year.

IMG_2277.jpg

WOW great bull! Yes I think the bulk of the elk are in the wilderness area but without horses it would be quite the hunt, at least from the east side. I have not went in from the west. Butler Basin would be a good hunt. Long jeep road in and lots of area to hunt. Stay as high as you can get. It's beautiful country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back