MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nuther very nice lope

Big Sky

A former student/graduate of mine calls me yesterday morning and ask's if I want to come along antelope hunting and to help him judge trophy quality. I'm not very good at saying no to hunting so off we went. He wanted to kill an antelope that had horns that were 14" or longer. I felt fairly sure I could guess pretty darn close. Long story short he wasn't disappointed. ;) Anyone want to venture a guess as to just how undisappointed he was?

AntelopeKory1.jpg

Side view.
AntelopeKory2.jpg

15 5/8" on the long horn.

Please bear in mind that I suck at judging horn length with that kind of hook.

I'm kind of hoping that I'm calling it low, either way, its a great looking antelope, congrats to the hunter.

15-1/8" on the longer horn...sumthin else on the other :rolleyes: What ever it scores it a dang nince looking prarie carp...congrats to you and your buddy Troy!

Tom and Elkhunter are both correct. The short horn is 15 7/8" the long horn is 16" right on the money. Great guessing there boys!

schweeet--great lookin goat--tell him congrats and way to go there Big Sky on the judging--where'd you get him--chris

csutton7 I won't be too specific but I will say it was in Northeast MT and believe it or not, on Block Management land.

Hi Big Sky,
Jerry here the teacher from Hamilton here, we talked on one of these forums years ago about spring bear hunting. It is cool you get out with your former students. Myself and another teacher went out opening day hunting and were 3-4 miles back on a gated road looking for elk and ran into one of my students. The look on his face was priceless. My lope season stunk this year. Over the MEA days I took my son north of Roundup and we were on a huge section of Block Management land and saw very few antelope. I am a pretty good spotter and use a spotting scope and we walked a lot away from the roads and they were few and far between. The next morning it was so foggy you couldn't see 100 yards till afternoon. I know hunting is hunting but it disapointing my son never popped a cap. The first time I have been skunked antelope hunting. He could have gotten a 300 yard shot at a doe but I made him pass and try to get closer. We stayed at a motel with 25 units full of lope and bird hunters and I never saw one lope in a truck. I hope my luck changes for elk and deer. I think the winter kill was high last year around Roundup. Also being so close to Billings the number of hunters from Billings was really high especially for hunting during the week. Have a great rest of the season. Jerry

Jerry yes I remember you. Long time no talk-to. That sounds like you had a rough hunt. I don't believe there was much winter kill around Round Up but they certainly do have tons more pressure there than other parts of the state. You might want to venture a little further east, you will likely enjoy what you will find.

Big Sky,
You are right. Hopefully next year gas prices are not that much higher and I will go further east, put in for a 700 tag and also hunt deer on opening weekend. Congrats on all the nice lopes. Boy I saw many black bears around here this fall but was always packing my bow and never got close enough for a shot. We went to Choteau to shoot pheasants and saw a big blackie off Rogers Pass near Lincoln, only packing a 12 gauge that day ; ) Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back