NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

This is their version of what is happening. Deception upon deception.

Attachments

• 3BA9D2DD-74BB-4B0F-8185-159CBAF5036A.jpeg
    3BA9D2DD-74BB-4B0F-8185-159CBAF5036A.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 72
The article I read mentioned recently the NRA said they are better financially than they ever have been. So how can they file for bankruptcy?
I can’t believe that they aren’t hurting. Been a long time since I’ve heard someone proud to carry their card around in their wallet. I’m a life member. They haven’t got a dime from me in probably five years.

The NRA was sued in August by New York Attorney General Letitia James, who accused LaPierre and other senior leaders of self-dealing and mismanagement, and said the group’s activities violated state laws governing nonprofits.

James said NRA officials diverted millions of dollars to fund luxury lifestyles, including vacations and private jets, and to buy the silence and loyalty of former employees, costing the group $64 million over three years.

The National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia in the period leading up to the 2016 election, according to a new investigation unveiled Friday by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Drawing on contemporaneous emails and private interviews, an 18-month probe by the Senate Finance Committee's Democratic staff found that the NRA underwrote political access for Russian nationals Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin more than previously known — even though the two had declared their ties to the Kremlin.

Strategy:
1. Build large membership base
2. Work with government employees of a hostile country
3. Shadily spend money
4. Claim bankruptcy and reincorporate under the guise of political persecution
5. ???
6. Profit

This screams of corruption at the highest levels. If this is the primary group that we have defending the 2A, we're in trouble.

I’m sure it’s been asked before, but is there a legitimate alternative pro-2A group that does the job the NRA should be doing without all the slimeball corruption shit and heavy handed fear mongering?

I’m sure it’s been asked before, but is there a legitimate alternative pro-2A group that does the job the NRA should be doing without all the slimeball corruption shit and heavy handed fear mongering?

So if the answer is no. The questions begs to ask how it helps our cause to be in bed with crooks? Is that the image we want? Does that change hearts and minds of people on the fence?

So if the answer is no. The questions begs to ask how it helps our cause to be in bed with crooks? Is that the image we want? Does that change hearts and minds of people on the fence?
Never been an NRA member, just to clarify. Not that it matters. If there’s not a legitimate alternative, there should be.

I
I have heard GOA, gun owners of America is good, but I do not know first hand.

This is getting out of control.

I’m taking a stand and not supporting companies that do stuff like this.

Just permanently deleted my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I’m out. ✌️

Gonna be spending a lot more time on Hunt Talk, so all y’all better be posting more or I’m gonna go nuts

If there’s not a legitimate alternative, there should be.

I remember a 2015 PBS Frontline episode where they talk about how the NRA was working with Joe Manchin on passing some very modest gun control legislation in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. But some groups that were even more hardline than the NRA caught wind of this and started making noise that the NRA wasn't really sticking up for people's 2A rights. Not wanting to lose membership dollars to these other groups, they pulled out of negotiating with Manchin and came out against the legislation they had been working on. The legislation obviously died as they weren't going to get enough GOP senators to clear the filibuster or enough GOP representatives to sign onto the bill to pass the House with the NRA opposing it.

So I think the phrase "a legitimate alternative" could be taken a lot of different ways. My guess is that it would be really easy to find other 2A groups that would oppose any and all gun control legislation. It is easy to set up activist groups that preach no compromise rhetoric in the age of asymmetric polarization. If you think a legitimate alternative is a 2A group that works across the aisle so that Ruger 10/22s don't get caught up in AR-15 legislation, then I think finding a group like that would be a lot harder. How many NRA members would join a group that preached "We like guns, but we also like compromise." My guess is not many.

When I think about the NRA corruption scandals, I get really frustrated. They were too afraid of what would have likely been a momentary dip in membership levels to actually try and productively solve some problems. And why was that? Because losing member dollars threatened their ability to keep buying fancy clothes and flying to the Bahamas.

I remember a 2015 PBS Frontline episode where they talk about how the NRA was working with Joe Manchin on passing some very modest gun control legislation in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. But some groups that were even more hardline than the NRA caught wind of this and started making noise that the NRA wasn't really sticking up for people's 2A rights. Not wanting to lose membership dollars to these other groups, they pulled out of negotiating with Manchin and came out against the legislation they had been working on. The legislation obviously died as they weren't going to get enough GOP senators to clear the filibuster or enough GOP representatives to sign onto the bill to pass the House with the NRA opposing it.

So I think the phrase "a legitimate alternative" could be taken a lot of different ways. My guess is that it would be really easy to find other 2A groups that would oppose any and all gun control legislation. It is easy to set up activist groups that preach no compromise rhetoric in the age of asymmetric polarization. If you think a legitimate alternative is a 2A group that works across the aisle so that Ruger 10/22s don't get caught up in AR-15 legislation, then I think finding a group like that would be a lot harder. How many NRA members would join a group that preached "We like guns, but we also like compromise." My guess is not many.

When I think about the NRA corruption scandals, I get really frustrated. They were too afraid of what would have likely been a momentary dip in membership levels to actually try and productively solve some problems. And why was that? Because losing member dollars threatened their ability to keep buying fancy clothes and flying to the Bahamas.
I honestly don’t know where I’m at as far as compromise goes these days. I used to be much more on the side of compromising, but am far less so now. There are a lot of absolutely asinine gun control proposals that would do nothing to address the root causes of gun violence, and would only serve to create headaches for legal shooters.

I guess I’d just like to see a 2A group handle the whole PR thing differently than the NRA has. Rather than creating this fire and brimstone, us vs. them narrative, work to educate the public on the causes of gun violence (mostly poverty and people feeling marginalized as far as I can see) being the problem that really needs addressing, and showing that responsible gun ownership is a benefit to society.

I’m sure there’s a whole lot that I don’t understand and am naive about, but I didn’t own my own gun until my late 20s and I can remember prior to becoming an engaged hunter and gun owner being incredibly turned off by the NRA’s rhetoric.

I honestly don’t know where I’m at as far as compromise goes these days. I used to be much more on the side of compromising, but am far less so now. There are a lot of absolutely asinine gun control proposals that would do nothing to address the root causes of gun violence, and would only serve to create headaches for legal shooters.

I guess I’d just like to see a 2A group handle the whole PR thing differently than the NRA has. Rather than creating this fire and brimstone, us vs. them narrative, work to educate the public on the causes of gun violence (mostly poverty and people feeling marginalized as far as I can see) being the problem that really needs addressing, and showing that responsible gun ownership is a benefit to society.

I’m sure there’s a whole lot that I don’t understand and am naive about, but I didn’t own my own gun until my late 20s and I can remember prior to becoming an engaged hunter and gun owner being incredibly turned off by the NRA’s rhetoric.

I think you could make an argument that when actual knowledgeable gun owners aren't at the table when legislation is written, it can make for not very good legislation. I don't think the NRA has done a good job representing the long term interests of gunowners by always opposing these efforts.

This is all so disheartening , when we need to stand up to the biggest threat we ever faced with Joe Biden and both Congress and the Senate in his favor! We needed the NRA to be strong and they let us down, yes I’m a member. I fear for our future generations , they may never know this right we all so much cherish. The first and second amendments aren’t 1 and 2 by chance , our forefathers knew one was protected by the other. Looks like we are having both attacked at the same time. I wonder and I hope I’m wrong if hunt talk will be shut down because we are deemed controversial ? This is the challenge we are facing in the future. Stand against censorship and stand up for each other’s legal right to own and shoot firearms. Don’t give an inch !!!! Our future depends on us standing together!

This is all so disheartening , when we need to stand up to the biggest threat we ever faced with Joe Biden and both Congress and the Senate in his favor! We needed the NRA to be strong and they let us down, yes I’m a member. I fear for our future generations , they may never know this right we all so much cherish. The first and second amendments aren’t 1 and 2 by chance , our forefathers knew one was protected by the other. Looks like we are having both attacked at the same time. I wonder and I hope I’m wrong if hunt talk will be shut down because we are deemed controversial ? This is the challenge we are facing in the future. Stand against censorship and stand up for each other’s legal right to own and shoot firearms. Don’t give an inch !!!! Our future depends on us standing together!
There is no threat from Biden. Just Fox News Fear Tactics. The only President to pass ANY anti-gun legislation in the last 25 years is Donald J Trump.

Truth is truth. Don’t believe the fear mongers.

GW expanded gun rights.

Obama expanded gun rights.

Last edited:
The “don’t give an inch” rhetoric is exactly why the NRA failed to stay relevant. More and more gun owners do not fit the traditional demographic of this country, and that message doesn’t appeal to people who want their guns, but also are capable of acknowledging and actually discussing that there is a problem with gun violence in this country and we need to figure it out.

Refusing to even enter the building is no way to inject your agenda into the discussion (NRA). If you show up and demonstrate a capacity to engage in a serious, thoughtful conversation, people will value what you have to say. We need a group that does that for 2A.

The NRA has supported most gun control that is in effect.

We should be repealing the NFA and the DOJ should be prosecuting people that violate the constitution in regards to gun (and all other) rights.

Instead the NRA tells us we must vote for “take the guns now, due process later” Trump, while his ATF-which shouldn’t even exist- keeps on making arbitrary rules about stupid things like pistol braces.

The NRA obnoxiously acts like this big, tough, no compromise, F the commie libs organization, but reality seems to be a bit different.
If the NRA actually didn’t give an inch that would be fine. I won’t support any organization that will. The NRA is all talk and their talk is obnoxious. Their messaging is terrible.

I bet LaPierre bought some dope ties with our money though.

The “don’t give an inch” rhetoric is exactly why the NRA failed to stay relevant. More and more gun owners do not fit the traditional demographic of this country, and that message doesn’t appeal to people who want their guns, but also are capable of acknowledging and actually discussing that there is a problem with gun violence in this country and we need to figure it out.

Refusing to even enter the building is no way to inject your agenda into the discussion (NRA). If you show up and demonstrate a capacity to engage in a serious, thoughtful conversation, people will value what you have to say. We need a group that does that for 2A.
Very well said

We should be repealing the NFA and the DOJ should be prosecuting people that violate the constitution in regards to gun (and all other) rights.

Just pointing out that repealing the NFA would allow for anyone to purchase fully automatic weapons during a time in our nation when both extremist factions are uparming for the revolution of dunces.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back