NR Poll: 2020 Nevada Tag or Point Application

Nevada NR Tag Apps—Tags, Points, or Fold ‘Em?

• Tags for all species

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Just points this year

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Tags for some species, points for others

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Not applying this year, even though I usually do

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Too early to tell, will decide when the application deadline gets closer

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters

rtraverdavis

Similar to @BlakeA ’s Colorado poll, this one is for Nevada. This may be a bit early, but I’ve been thinking about it for a while. For non residents who usually apply in Nevada, will you be shooting for tags or just grabbing points this year? Or, with all of the economic and travel uncertainty right now, are you out altogether?

I’m in for antlered tags across the board. Proposed deer quotas are up a bit, so I’m hoping it’s my year for a deer tag.

Just points, normally I’d put in though. I’m not applying because I’ve got a tag that I should pull in Oregon for deer and tags in Montana that I’m going to hunt. I also don’t have enough points to really feel like I have a good chance to pull anything. And on top of all that I have a young dog I need to get on as many birds as possible this season.

So really I’m not putting in because I want to make sure I dedicate enough time to the tags I’m already planning on hunting and to the new pup. If time wasn’t an issue I’d be applying in Nevada.

Similar to @BlakeA ’s Colorado poll, this one is for Nevada. This may be a bit early, but I’ve been thinking about it for a while. For non residents who usually apply in Nevada, will you be shooting for tags or just grabbing points this year? Or, with all of the economic and travel uncertainty right now, are you out altogether?

I’m in for antlered tags across the board. Proposed deer quotas are up a bit, so I’m hoping it’s my year for a deer tag.

Where are you seeing the proposed tag numbers? I cannot find them.
2019 quotes are listed in the regulations

Where are you seeing the proposed tag numbers? I cannot find them.
2019 quotes are listed in the regulations
A friend of mine from Nevada texted me a pdf this morning. In the format that it’s in I’m not sure how to share it here.

I'll put in for everything again. NV has a good policy for giving tags back if I get into a crunch (deer/antleope)...I actually got a nice deer tag two years ago about a week before the season because of the policy....if I draw elk or sheep I will obviously drop everything and hunt.

If I don’t draw a deer tag in NM I’ll throw $14 in the pot.

Depends what NM has to say. In reality it doesn’t much matter if I buy points or apply in NV..

Points for me—was debating on putting in for mule deer, but I’m waiting another year. Partly due to uncertainty these days, and partly just bad timing if I draw.

I did the Draw Odds for archery Pronghorn and I can find some units that have above 50% draw odds in about 5 years/5 points if I were to buy a point starting this year. I haven't checked for mule deer, but I know Randy has done archery mule deer often in Nevada, but rifle is a different story. Elk, Sheep and others I will be in my 50s before I draw and I am 37. Good luck everyone on whatever you decide.

I did the Draw Odds for archery Pronghorn and I can find some units that have above 50% draw odds in about 5 years/5 points if I were to buy a point starting this year. I haven't checked for mule deer, but I know Randy has done archery mule deer often in Nevada, but rifle is a different story. Elk, Sheep and others I will be in my 50s before I draw and I am 37. Good luck everyone on whatever you decide.

Similar thoughts for me (34 YO) and only in for 3 points for Elk, Deer, and Sheep in NV. If it weren't for some opportunity with Mule Deer I'd probably cut my losses and avoid NV because elk odds are flat out depressing and the cost of applications + tag if I ever draw will be pretty outrageous.

Wow, you guys are down on Nevada aren’t you.

realistically as a non-res in Nevada you should be putting in for deer and antelope with hopes of hunting one of those tags every 3-5 years.

sheep and elk in NV are once in a lifetime opportunities and only slightly more frequent for residents. I go in with the mindset that I’ll draw a quality tag every so often for deer and throw my name in the hat for sheep and elk. Pulling out cuz of the low odds doesn’t make much sense to me. Nevada is a long game state, but you’ll be happy with the tags you draw...

If the occasional deer/goat tag isn’t worth it for the application cost every year then Nevada probably isn’t the best state to put in for because you can’t really plan on when and where you’ll ever draw a elk or sheep tag. Kind of pointless to even lose sleep thinking about it.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are down on Nevada aren’t you.

realistically as a non-res in Nevada you should be putting in for deer and antelope with hopes of hunting one of those tags every 3-5 years.

sheep and elk in NV are once in a lifetime opportunities and only slightly more frequent for residents. I go in with the mindset that I’ll draw a quality tag every so often for deer and throw my name in the hat for sheep and elk. Pulling out cuz of the low odds doesn’t make much sense to me. Nevada is a long game state, but you’ll be happy with the tags you draw...

If the occasional deer/goat tag isn’t worth it for the application cost every year then Nevada probably isn’t the best state to put in for because you can’t really plan on when and where you’ll ever draw a elk or sheep tag. Kind of pointless to even lose sleep thinking about it.

That's my exact perspective. Elk typically get priority so maybe once every 4 or 5 years I'll forego an elk hunt for a good mule deer tag in CO, WY, or NV.

My general goal is 2 western hunts a year. 1 will typically be an easy to draw elk tag in MT or ID. Second hunt typically an AK hunt, LE elk tag, or a desirable deer or pronghorn tag. Therefor Muleys in NV are the only thing that keeps me in the game.

Sheep and elk yes... Ill take any tag they are willing to give me for either one. Deer, depends on what NM and Utah have to say as I have applied for tags in those states that I have a pretty good chance of drawing. Probably just a point for deer in NV since I am not sure I could handle hunting AZ, NM, UT and NV for Deer this year. It sounds like a good problem to have though! Just not sure I could take that much time off work.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back