Caribou Gear Tarp

Notched the Antelope Tag

ERSS

Friday was the opener, finally after 10+ years of putting in, I had the tag. My wife had heard me talking to friends, looking for an "extra pair of eyes" for the first day. They all had to work and at the last minute she volunteered to come along. Had a few, and one in particular that I was looking for. At first light as we headed to where I last saw him, we passed a private field with a good buck in it. Drove around to the public foothills and sage behind the field and went for a hike. Found him, and when my wife opened up the Montana Decoy muley doe decoy, he made a beeline for us. He stopped, just short of stepping onto public for the shot. About that time, a truck slammed on its breaks out on the main road, and the buck took off. We took a hike, and found him back in the rolling foothills.... and an hour and a half into opening morning, I was a happy man.

Great day in the hills with my wife. After we got home, meat cut up, head caped and to the taxi...I told her I had planned on hunting all day, and now we could do what ever she wanted. I chose well 20 years ago....she said "lets go fishing".

Attachments

• Ante pic 1.jpg
    Ante pic 1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 611
  • php4nEZgtPM.jpg
    php4nEZgtPM.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 611
  • Rach fishing.jpg
    Rach fishing.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 609
All caped out and someplace to go!

Attachments

• ante cape 1.jpg
    ante cape 1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 609
  • phpqeUf4oPM.jpg
    phpqeUf4oPM.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 607
Congrats on finding the one you were looking for, the antelope, but it sounds like you found the right wife as well. That's a cool looking buck. I'm guessing the tag was in Idaho?

Congrats on finding the one you were looking for, the antelope, but it sounds like you found the right wife as well. That's a cool looking buck. I'm guessing the tag was in Idaho?

Yup, Eastern Idaho. When ya coming back to fish Henry's Lake?

Great buck for that country, they got hammered in the winter a couple years back, good to see some still around. I always enjoyed seeing them in the hills and trees behind you in the second picture

Great buck for that country, they got hammered in the winter a couple years back, good to see some still around. I always enjoyed seeing them in the hills and trees behind you in the second picture

Thanks Tone! According to the ID F&G page, the average horn length in the unit/hunt is about 11 inches, pretty happy to come up with an above average buck for the area.

Looks like a great day afield with a fun hunting partner. Thanks for posting the story and pics.

Ugly/funky is where it is at in the pronghorn world. That fits the bill. Congrats.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back