Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nosler RDF Experience

BackofBeyond

Anybody have any experience with Nosler’s RDF bullets? They seem to be the only thing of theirs regularly available, and SPS has (100) 210 grain pills for $30.

Thinking about giving them a run, even if it’s just for practice ammo, can’t beat the price.

I bought 4 boxes of nosler factory 308 ammo loaded with 175’s RDFs. They shot very well in my Remington 700. I wish I could duplicate that factory load.

Edit. I only used them for practice and a silhouette match. Not hunting.

Last edited:
I bought some of the SPS seconds because I couldn’t find anything else and love them. Some claim that they are hard to find accurate loads with. Not my experience at all. I loaded them with standard powders and found several nodes that worked.

I ran the 105’s in 6mm creed my first season shooting prs. They were more finicky than bergers to get to shoot but once I figured them out they shot decent. If memory serves me in the end it took around 200 rds to finally develop a good load and the seating depth window was pretty small like they only shot good .065-.075 off the lands. I do distinctly remember shooting a couple 1100 yard targets where it got pretty sloppy, my corrections didn’t correct right, like the bullets weren’t tracking consistent. Could have been some crazy updrafts but I’ve never experienced that again at that range and I shoot it a lot. On development I had a sd of like 4 and at 1100 I was seeing like full target size (14”) elevation impact variations that day.

I couldn't get them figured out in my Tikka CTR 6.5 Creed. Played with a couple of powders, different seating depths, couldn't get much better than 1.5 MOA. Rifle is sub-half MOA with both SMKs and ELD-Ms, so I quit tinkering with the RDFs. Super interesting projectile, though.

I shoot the 70gr RDF in my wife's 223Rem. Seemed to like a little more jump than the 69gr SMK.
About 0.030" off the lands if I recall correctly.

I ran the 105’s in 6mm creed my first season shooting prs. They were more finicky than bergers to get to shoot but once I figured them out they shot decent. If memory serves me in the end it took around 200 rds to finally develop a good load and the seating depth window was pretty small like they only shot good .065-.075 off the lands. I do distinctly remember shooting a couple 1100 yard targets where it got pretty sloppy, my corrections didn’t correct right, like the bullets weren’t tracking consistent. Could have been some crazy updrafts but I’ve never experienced that again at that range and I shoot it a lot. On development I had a sd of like 4 and at 1100 I was seeing like full target size (14”) elevation impact variations that day.
Might need to recalculate the BC at those distances.
I know Sierra gives different BCs for different velocities.

SPS had the 210 grain .308 on sale for $22/100 so I snatched them up. Won't be out an arm and a leg if I can't get them to shoot. At least can keep them around for fireforming brass.
I bought 100 of the 175 grain rdf for barrel break in. Was gonna use Bergers but these were cheaper. mtmuley

I'm not concerned with accuracy. Just sending them through a barrel and didn't want to waste a good hunting bullet. mtmuley
I don't know of anyone using them for hunting.
I had read that Walt Berger was adamant that his VLD bullets were for target only.
Finally looked into using them for hunting after a friend told him they were great hunting bullets.

So maybe you are indeed wasting a good hunting bullet.

I don't know of anyone using them for hunting.
I had read that Walt Berger was adamant that his VLD bullets were for target only.
Finally looked into using them for hunting after a friend told him they were great hunting bullets.

So maybe you are indeed wasting a good hunting bullet.
I am using the RDF to break in a barrel because it is not a hunting bullet. Just sending them downrange. Don't care about accuracy, velocity or anything else. I have hunting bullets to load after break in. mtmuley

I am using the RDF to break in a barrel because it is not a hunting bullet. Just sending them downrange. Don't care about accuracy, velocity or anything else. I have hunting bullets to load after break in. mtmuley
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Hammers.
:D

Back