Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nosler PPT vs Spitzer

2rocky

I see that the Nosler Partition is either a Protected point or spitzer in the 180 grain offering.
It appears the Federal Premium loads that have served me so well are the PPT Part number.

Have any of you seen a performance difference between the PPT and Regular Spitzer in reloads? the overall length is slightly different for the two but the BC is the same.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Partition.aspx

I was told that the Protected point was designed specifically for the 300WinMag. They have a shorter ogive (curve of the bullets forward section). My understanding is so that the bullet would fit better in the magnum length magazine while improving powder capacity. I do not have experience with the Protected point but I would think that a slightly more blunt bullet would only effect long range bullet performance. Outside of that, standard load development would be required to find the actual performance difference.

I've used both, but mainly the protected points.

I didnt see any difference and actually preferred the PP as they didnt flatten in the magazine from recoil.

Mthuntr is correct as well that the ogive is shorter...that may effect load development and accuracy as the bullet shape changes COAL parameters in regard to seating depth to be your desired distance off the lands. I used to not think that mattered much for accuracy...it does.

Performance wise on game...same.

BC is NOT the same. Nosler load manual (or just looking at the shape of the two bullets) says so.

Buzz is right. Same on-game performance, and I like 'em cause they don't deform from recoil.

As far as the BC goes, in something like a 300 Win, it doesn't make much of a difference until well past 400 yards.

belly deep thanks. I just looked and see the Sectional density not the BC was the same. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I shoot the standard 180 Partition and the 180 PP out of my .308. Both loaded to 2640fps. I dial an extra 1/2 MOA for the PP at 300 yards so the difference is minimal.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Su Sal
Back