MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nosler Accubond 140 grain vs. 160 grain-Elk

Wapiti426

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7mm Rem Mag and am between the 140g or 160g Nosler Trophy Grade-Accubond ammunition. I plan on seeing which one my rifle shoots best. However wanted to see if anyone thinks the 140g will be too light for elk?

Thanks!

Either will work. If you can get one to shoot put the bullet in the right spot you’ll punch a tag.

If the 160 is equally as accurate, I'd shoot it. My 7 SAUM shoots 140 and 160 grain Partitions/Accubonds equally as well. I'll be using the 160 grain Accubonds this season for elk.

I shoot 140s out of my .280 and have killed two bulls. One dropped like he was hit by lightening and the other took about 5 steps but never took another chew on the clump of grass in his mouth.
HD

I had a 7mm mag years ago and boy could it tear up a cup and core bullet, except one. 160gr Speer Hot Core was a great bullet. I think the bonded bullet's should work as well but for myself I would use the Hornady bonded bullet or the Speer Hot Core. Hornady claims retaining something like 90% with their bonded bullet. I tested the 160gr Hot Core years ago in newspaper at 100yds. It retained 84%! Nosler told me their bonded bullet is designed to retain 70%, same as the partition. I did shoot a black bear years ago with a 140gr Sierra, ugly. Straight on shot into chest between the legs at about 50 yds. Bullet made it in about 3" an blew a big hole in it. needed another shot behind the head to kill it. Kind of soured me on light bullet's. I would think the bonded would work much better.

I’ve shot a bunch of elk with the 160s. Good performance. However, I wouldn’t hesitate using 140s if that fits your needs.

Got a chance to hit the range this weekend. My rifle seems to really like the 140 grain. I am feeling confident and can't wait for October!

I shot a few critters with 140's and have shoot a couple truck loads with 160s. Both work great. I've had some unbelievable penetration with 160s and a 7 rem mag. One of the most remarkable was a frontal shot on a bull in the chest and found the bullet in a round steak.

Here is a 140 out of a 280 at about 80 yards... this is the entrance hole. I found the bullet under the hide on the other side. This was a long time ago, about the year the Accubonds came out. This is not typical of their performance.
hole1.jpg

My money is on the 160. I will not pass on a 400 or 500 yard shot if I can't get closer. At that range bigger is always better.

I would be surprised if the 140s shoot better than 160s or even 175s, but each rifle is different and I don't know your barrel twist.

My money is on the 160. I will not pass on a 400 or 500 yard shot if I can't get closer. At that range bigger is always better.

I would be surprised if the 140s shoot better than 160s or even 175s, but each rifle is different and I don't know your barrel twist.

It could be that I have just been practicing more lately and my groups have gotten better. Personally, I would like to cap myself at 300 yards. I don't have a spot to practice out to 400 and I would rather not take a shot past a range I have not practiced at.

If you are able, make sure you chronograph your loads if you're using any sort of BDC or planning on longer shots. I had a box of 140gr Trophy Grade Accubonds fail to break 3000fps, even though they were listed at 3200. Nosler was kind enough to send me another box, but it shows the importance of really knowing what the velocity is, and not taking the factory box numbers as gospel.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back