Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Elkgunner

Anybody ever used these guys???

HTML:
http://www.northwestalaska.com/photo_album.html

Moose_1_-277x197.jpg

raft_hunters-262x188.jpg

What you got planned???? Is it for this year or next? A buddy and I (another BLMer), I thinking hard about a caribou hunt for next year.

I'll be in touch as we're doing the same. I'm hoping that our Kodiak transporter will be able to point us in a decent direction as well.

EG, I checked out their website (what there is of it)

Kotzebue is a jet service airline accessible hub and is a good jumping-off point.
They mention that they are close to Natl Parks so some of those pics could have been of park animals (minus the bou racks in the boat).

If you go--some thoughts: Check references, Take the 16 foot raft--the extra 3 feet is worth the $100--make sure the raft has a rowing frame. Plan your daily float distance ahead of time. After you talk to these folks and after you select a river, ask about river flows. You will float about 2 MPH slower than the current speed. Based on these two numbers plan on the maximum distance you can float in 6 hours per day. Say the current of your chosen river averages 5 mph. 5mph - 2mph = 3mph (x6 hours) = 18 miles X 5 float days = 90 miles from put-in to take-out. Assuming you go in september you will have about 12 hours of daylight. This calculation is important if pick up sites are limited and you have to be at point B on a given day. If so, this schedule will allow you to spend a day or two in a good spot and then catch up the following day. Ask if your pilot requires a specific pick-up point. If pick-up points are not an issue then float when you want and hunt when you want.

Also, bring enough raft!!! If you and a bud want to kill a moose each, you will ABSOLUTELY need two 16 footers. 1 16 foot Avon will haul 1 200lb guy, 50 lbs of gear, 1 dressed/quartered moose (750 lbs) and 1 dressed/quartered caribou or bear (200lbs).

Do not bring a coleman stove, buy a single burner stove to save weight. I recommend freeze dried food to save weight.

and remember the prices listed DO NOT include your bush plane time.

They seem like a good operation just go prepared.

If you need more let me know

Cheers

Erik,

I like Koetzbue and Dillingham for the Jet Service. Much cheaper than some of the other jumping off points.

Kind of just curious as to anybody knowing anything about these guy's service and such. Much easier to rent rafts up there than to haul mine up from here.

As an FYI, the size of water also dictates the size of the raft.....

Not sure if these guys would help hook up with the Air service or if that is a separate set of negotitations/ and discussions.

What do you want to hunt primarily? I ask because for a caribou hunt many of the rivers accessible from Dillingham are also accessible via bush plane direct from Anchorage.
You'd need to crunch the numbers to see which is more economical. If you're serious about Dillingham or Kotzebue, consider shipping your gear bulk freight to your transporter well in advance, it may save you on airfare.

You can contact the AK Dept of Labor's Licensing Division to find out how long any guide, outfitter or transporter has been in business and to see if they've had any complaints registered.

I shouldve asked as to your rafting knowlege before offering so much info. As far as water size, I agree but assume they know the rivers well enough to drop you off on one with sufficient flows to float a loaded raft.

I have a 16 foot Aire Jagurundi cataraft that will run pretty skinny water.

You may want to pick up a copy of The Alaska Rivers Guide by Karen Jettmar, A Complete Guide to Floathunting Alaska by Larry Bartlett, and Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers by Jay Massey.

Larry Bartlett is a hunt planner. His website is www.pristineventures.com and he's very knowledgeable about many of the huntable river systems in Alaska and pretty generous with his info.

I suppose that there are different strategies. But on my one float hunt we traveled a lot less than Erik suggests. Last year (2004) we did an eleven-day moose hunt and rafted only 40 miles down the river. We planned travel days and hunting days. On a travel day we would hunt for a few hours in the morning, then break camp and float for maybe three hours, then setup the tent on a gravel bar, and still have time to hunt for a few hours that evening. Our speed was about 2 to 3 miles per hour same as Erik mentions. The next day was a hunting day and we hunted all day without floating. This gave us lots of time to hunt the area within walking distance of our camp thoroughly, before we moved on.

Erik is from AK so he is probably much more experienced in AK hunting strategies than myself. Maybe he can explain his strategy to us?

That second book Erik mentioned, I will second, it is a very good book with lots of good advice and information. The third book looked good just now, but its $125 used at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/of...f=dp_olp_2//002-9758540-2640048?condition=all

I guess I'll get it out of a library sometime.

I'll guess on the strategy, Moose like eating in water, its easier to float than to walk, the water shot is open? I like KCs strategy, sort of the best of both, some walking and stalking, some floating.

KC, I was suggesting the maximum distance one should consider. I agree you can get an awfull lot of hunting done in 40 miles. I reread my post--I was a bit unclear.
I didn't realize gunner was an experience floathunter and was trying to caution against floating too much river. My moose floats have been call & hunt near camp in the morning, float (and fish) during mid-day and call and hunt near the new camp that evening. I also mentioned it because on some rivers the best hunting is in the upper river with the good pick up spots many miles downstream. Using river flows to calculate how many days it will take to float straight through (if you HAVE to) helps in planning either your extra hunting days in one spot or where to adjust your drop-off or take out. I hope that make sense.

Tom, I'm not surprised that Jay's book is $125. He died of cancer in the early 90's and his books have gone up in price. If anyone wants that book I'll see if I can find it locally. Most of our bookstores are run by hippie college kids who wouldn't know whether or not a book about "ewwww hunting" is valuable

one last thing about floating in grizz country. It gets dark around 7-7:30ish in september. I recommend stopping at 4 to make dinner. After clean-up, float for another half hour before making camp.

There are also outfitters who specialize in float fishing/hunting in AK. They do all the logistics, provide all the equipment for the float and camps, they get you to where the game your wanting to hunt should be and then haul it out for you after you kill it. They take care of all the equipment all camps and cooking and all you do is fish and hunt, gut and get your game back to the rafts . It's like a drop camp, they guide you on the rivers and take you to where your going and back but they stay with the camp and take care of you while you go out and hunt on your own.Their trips are very reasonable too with many rivers to choose from and they have a great knowledge of the game and where it can be found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back