MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Northern Yellowstone Herd Counts

rmyoung1

Getting tired of seeing this trend.....

---------- Forwarded message ----------

News Release from the
Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group

Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, & Parks - Contact: Karen Loveless 406-333-4211
National Park Service - Contact: Doug Smith 307-344-2242

March 6, 2013

2013 Winter Count of Northern Yellowstone Elk

The Northern Yellowstone Cooperative Wildlife Working Group conducted its annual winter survey of the northern Yellowstone elk population on February 18, 2013. The survey, using three airplanes, was conducted by staff from the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks and the National Park Service. Staff counted 3,915 elk, including 915 elk (23%) inside Yellowstone National Park and 3,000 elk (77%) elsewhere north of the park. Survey conditions were favorable across the region.

The count of 3,915 elk during the 2013 winter season was six percent lower than the 2012 winter count of 4,174. Looking back further, between the winters of 2007 and the end of winter 2011, elk numbers ranged from 4,635 to 7,109.

The Working Group will continue to monitor trends of the northern Yellowstone elk population and evaluate the relative contribution of various components of mortality, including predation, environmental factors, and hunting.

The Working Group was formed in 1974 to cooperatively preserve and protect the long-term integrity of the northern Yellowstone winter range for wildlife species by increasing our scientific knowledge of the species and their habitats, promoting prudent land management activities, and encouraging an interagency approach to answering questions and solving problems.

The Working Group is comprised of resource managers and biologists from the Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks, National Park Service (Yellowstone National Park), U.S. Forest Service (Gallatin National Forest), and U.S. Geological Survey-Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center in Bozeman.

-30-
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Public Affairs Office
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
(307) 344-2013
[email protected]

That's a good question. I'm not totally sure. When I was in high school in Gardiner in the mid-90s the counts were around 16,000. That's probably too many but I know the range can support a lot more than 4,000. It's tough to watch.

Seems like every year they come up with a new reason why numbers are down, I wonder what it will be next year? In my experience, I see the exact opposite herd dynamics since the wolf was reintroduced, he mentioned that many elk were spread out in small groups, and in the timber and not in large groups in the open. Maybe I am the only one who remembers elk doing this BEFORE wolves, each winter now, I see larger groups of elk, and they stay on ridge tops where they can see in all directions. Maybe I am missing something, what are others seeing?

That's what I figured. I get a kick out of the whole collar issue for Yellowstone wolves. It seems every wolf there has a nickname and a story, plus a wolf-watcher group with more data than the bios, so they pretty much know where every single wolf is already.

In the Billings gazette it said the herd was getting smaller because there were less elk! :confused:
It went on to say "Smith said park studies have shown the existing elk are “leaner and meaner,” with wolves killing fewer elk and shifting more of their attention to bison. Cow elk are getting pregnant at a rate of about 90 percent or higher, yet few calves are living to adulthood. Many are likely being eaten by bears, coyotes, mountain lions and even golden eagles." :eek:

Many are likely being eaten by bears, coyotes, mountain lions and even golden eagles." :eek: Yesterday 03:46 PM
These pictures a a couple of years old. Taken off a moose kill. There's a lot of mouths to feed in some areas.

Attachments

• DSC_0369.jpg
    DSC_0369.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 691
I was looking at going elk hunting in region 3 north of yellowstone but this might affect that decision. Those pictures are crazy!

I was looking at going elk hunting in region 3 north of yellowstone but this might affect that decision. Those pictures are crazy!

It's great country. Elk numbers are WAY down, but it's a tremendous slice of God's creation.

Planning our trip out there this fall, my dad had hunted this area 25 years ago and the friend we have in Belgrade said he wont even venture down by Yellowstone and more to many bears. Hope to find one or two of the remaining elk.

Don't waste your time and money trust me. Not saying there isn't any elk but they are now far and few between until winter pushes them out of the park which is usually after the season. Pretty country though.;)

Well I guess if your spending tons of money from out of state there are much better options. Paradise Valley is one of my favorite drives in MT. But the hunting there has suffered in a big way since the wolves and bears have done their deeds to the herds. But the backcountry is great there no doubt about it. Someday I'm gonna get back and catch one of the early elk hunts in the AB.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back