North or South Dakota deer

Mountainguide

Any non residents ever dealt with north or South Dakota deer draw? Started looking into it and was just curious how to navigate their site. I would just be curious to pick your brain a little about draw odds and how to start figuring out where to hunt. Just some basic info to get started with my research is all. Rifle hunt.

Thank You

You will need both major luck and some major points built up for a rifle tag in North Dakota. South Dakota is attainable with only a few points and has a much higher quota for NRs. Their website is very detailed and fairly easy to understand. I would spend some time looking it over.

ND has a lottery for rifle tags, it will take some time to draw especially if you're applying for mule deer as that is tough even for residents. Are you wanting to hunt WT or mulies? Archery is an easier option for NR if that's an interest of yours.

If you need help with SoDak’s website, send me a PM. I’d be glad to help you!

SD lists all license type draw results so you can plan in advance. We currently don't have any deer except where D79 is located. Too much CWD here and the grizzlies are getting thick too.

SD lists all license type draw results so you can plan in advance. We currently don't have any deer except where D79 is located. Too much CWD here and the grizzlies are getting thick too.
What do you mean you don’t have any deer? In South Dakota?

As far as rifle hunting you can only get buck tags in the leftover drawings east river. West river you are eligible first drawing. The website has all the draw odds. Parts of the state have been hit pretty hard by blue tongue, so deer numbers are down in some areas. Don’t know about all. There is a fair amount of public land as well.

I lived in ND as well for 5 years, back then nonresidents were eligible in the first draw. The unit I lived in was about every other year for residents.

I believe you have to create an account to access draw odds (which is free to do) SD is also a bonus point state, so you have a chance every year. NR can’t apply east river until I believe 3rd drawing

What do you mean you don’t have any deer? In South Dakota?

"Tongue in cheek" Just joshing man. I have heard that the farther north of the equator a species is, the larger it will be so logically going to North Dakota would be wiser. I think you can find the drawing stats under "license" and then "draw statistics" on the SDGFP homepage. You do not need to register.

I believe you have to create an account to access draw odds (which is free to do) SD is also a bonus point state, so you have a chance every year. NR can’t apply east river until I believe 3rd drawing
I don’t believe the bonus points part to be true, except for maybe Black Hills.
West River tags they put you in buckets of, now, “3+ points” “2+points” “1+ point” “0 points”.

Not exactly true. They say its a bonus point but it acts like a preference point, at least until you attain 2. You cannot draw Black Hills (as a NR) for example without 2 points. Last time someone drew with 1 point as a NR was 2015 when 14 lucky souls did. Due to the # of people with points you do not have shot with less than 2.

I've hunted SD 7 times in the last 20 years with a rifle tag and been lucky to draw a mule deer tag in ND twice over the same timeframe.

Not exactly true. They say its a bonus point but it acts like a preference point, at least until you attain 2. You cannot draw Black Hills (as a NR) for example without 2 points. Last time someone drew with 1 point as a NR was 2015 when 14 lucky souls did. Due to the # of people with points you do not have shot with less than 2.

I've hunted SD 7 times in the last 20 years with a rifle tag and been lucky to draw a mule deer tag in ND twice over the same timeframe.
Solely attributable to clean living’.

Thats more times than I've hunted with a rifle here and I'm a resident. And that is not a joke.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back