Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

North Face Tundra

trophy_killer

Anyone got anything good and/or bad about this sleeping bag. It looks like what I am looking for, rated for 20 below, mummy style and light. I would like to get some advice about it first before I dump down about $250 on it. Thanks all, it's appreciated!!

I just wonder why you need a bag that warm? Check out this review, I found it useful:
Review

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-23-2003 16:01: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Thanks pointer. The reason I chose a bag so warm is because they say to get a bag rated for about 10 degrees below what you expect to encounter. When we hunt in Idaho in mid to late October it is around 10 degrees at night. When you get up to 10,000 feet I know it would be a lot colder so I figured that would be a good rating since I knew it would get below 0 and since there would be a chance of there being a perfectly clear sky out one night, and you know how cold it can get on a clear night. Well thanks again for the link.

An easy way to up the 'warmth' of a bag is to open a couple chemical hand warmers and put them in there with you. I'm gonna be getting a 20º bag in the next few months. I figure I'll need/use one of that rating more than an expedition weight bag. But, I'm a pretty warm sleeper. I slept in 16º in a cheap Coleman bag with little worry as I just put on some clothes before going to bed. Good luck with whatever you get.

Different sleepers have different requirements, I myself sleep very cold...

I say the temperature rating on a bag is where I'll die!
tongue.gif
j/k

So every person needs to decide for themselves, whether they sleep warm or cold, need lots of room or like a mummy. There are a lot of sleeping bag designs because there are a lot of different needs.

The North Face is an awesome company to buy from, there warranty/guarantee is good forever (the really good thing is, hardly anyone ever needs it) and their equipment is designed and used by real world users, not marketing teams.

Have you gone to a local shop where you can get in the bag and see if "it's you"... I would go in telling them you are shopping around and want to test some bags, many shops are really helpful here (it's good PR).

One third of your whole hiking/camping trip is spent in your sleeping bag, having one that really makes your comfortable can make or break a trip. Might be worth taking a day and going to a few shops and really getting the right one.

Jeff
wave1.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-24-2003 15:05: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]</font>

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I've only read about it. I need to find out where the nearest REI is because there is no sporting goods shops around here.

TK, I think this is the closes REI store to you. It's still a ways but next one is in Roseville. You might could stop on your way to Grandma's house. Expo Parkway isn't much outta the way off I-5.

Sacramento
1790 Expo Parkway
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 924-8900

Sacramento is an hour and a half away from here. Plus on the weekends I usually like to just hang out at home and relax. Oh well, maybe in the next few weeks I will make it down there.

TK,

Call the REI store manager in Sac town, and ask when his garage sale will be. You will be able to outfit your entire back pack, with the best gear you can hope for, for about $0.40 on the dollar. You then have to get your A** down there by 4am, and be in line for the opening. You'll love it.
elkgrin.gif

Krusty, did you work REI? Can you confirm this?

Elkgunner,

Yes I did work at the Seattle store, for a short time... in the climbing department.

Were you really hoping for confirmation???

This is all I have:
fc67ddc7.jpg

I hope this is confirmation enough for you... or do you want some I.D. too? So you know Krusty and Jeff Savoie are the same guy?

Jeff
wave1.gif

I think a sworn statement from your Mom would be in order. Jeff Savoie sounds like a made up name
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

No, I meant can you confirm to TK, that as a kid trying to get a pack full of gear, he would do well to hit the Returns Sale at the local REI, as he could get stuff to last a life time, and not have to by cheap crap, and replace it soon....

elkgrin.gif

Elkgunner, I have no problem spending a considerable amount of money on good gear. I also take care of my stuff too because I wan't it to live to its fullest potential.

Wow, egg on my face...

Sorry guys, I have had a tough day, it started early.
smile.gif

Yes I can confirm the garage sale is an outdoor event I would not miss, for many many years. Here in Seattle we would have to sleep out in line, it was the first place I ever "camped out" wothout any adult supervision.

Now they sell raffle tickets for entry by numbers... it got too rough with all of us running around like maniacs.

Deals are phenominal and everything is still covered under warranty.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Jeff
wave1.gif

Back