North Dakota deer

pointingdogsrule

Just browsing the North Dakota website (for pheasant info) and it states:

"The number of nonresident any deer archery licenses will decrease to 180 in 2013."

Wow, that's quite a decrease from years past, according to the records. Winters a disease must be hitting them hard up there.

good luck to all
the dog

When they set the any deer archey tag numbers they use a % of the Mule Deer buck tags issued the year before. I think it is 1%, but not sure on that %.

+ they don't like all us out of towners here working in the oil helping the states econemy grow, hunting their animals . Damn state is all private land any way. Thats why in the 20 months I have lived hhere I have hunted AZ. , New Mexico, Montana and Penn. Aint the end of the world if Ya don't get a tag in ND. And all them places are a heck of a lot Prettier to traverse......BOB!

+ they don't like all us out of towners here working in the oil helping the states econemy grow, hunting their animals . Damn state is all private land any way. Thats why in the 20 months I have lived hhere I have hunted AZ. , New Mexico, Montana and Penn. Aint the end of the world if Ya don't get a tag in ND. And all them places are a heck of a lot Prettier to traverse......BOB!

Not sure what to tell you man other than to keep trying. I know a lot of landowners that won't really let you hunt the first week but if you ask them after the 2nd weekend, a lot of them will give you access. My two biggest whitetails that I've ever shot though came off of public land (both around 150) so there are definitely places to hunt. Try the Little Missouri National Grassland. I know that there are way over 100,000 acres of public land to hunt there. Probably more like 300,000-400,000 acres and there are some big bucks out there. Rifle hunting there is tough just because the draw is to difficult but for archery it is all fair game.

And yea as far as the archery allocation goes, it is a percentage of the previous year's rifle tags. I think it might be more like 10% of the previous year's tags. For rifle tags though I think that it is only 1% for non-residents, which I'll agree is pathetic.

What is wrong with the badlands, Bob? All public land and ever person who has ever hunted there would qualify it as "pretty". Another thing to note: If the land is private and not posted, it is open to hunting. You should try and get out more, lots of opportunity out there.

Here's my North Dakota experience. Years ago (10) I went out west to archery hunt antelope in North Dakota. This was along the national park area (road #85?). "I believe" the law at that time was "if the land was NOT posted you could hunt it". NOTE: I was brought up to ALWAYS ask permission. I knocked on many doors and not once did anyone turn me down. The nicest people.

I saw some goats on one guys property and asked at a local diner who owned the land. They told me and stated that he was very ornery and mean... so I should be careful. I was taught it "never hurts to ask" so I went to his place. Knocked and he asked who sent me to his place. I tell him and he says "did they tell you was I mean"... I says YEP and proceded to tell him I wanted to hunt. Well, as I'm talking I see this large container on the counter in the house and I have an idea what it is. In a kind way I ask and he invites me in for "a taste". It was the BEST home brewed apricot ripple that I could imagine. He gave me a glass and I drank it down in 1 minute. He just smiled and smiled. A minute later it hit me and I says: "wow, that's potent". He's still smiling and says: "I new that was going to happen... that's made for sippin' ". We baoth talked for the next 1/2 hour and I got to hunt his land and an invite back to hunt mule deer (which I never did... regrets).

Love those NoDaks.
I imagine things have changed since the oil.

good luck to all
the dog

The landowner thing is a lot tougher now days. I drive truck in the oil patch and have figured out where the deer are But all posted.. I work with some folks that live in the area and I don't here much good as far as getting on private land. I think alot that don't have mineral rights are bitter, and I can't blame em. I will put in for the Grsslands as that was the plan for this year. I gave up my residency in AZ. so I can hopefully hunt here. I am a passionate turkey hunter and can't get a tag here unless a res. I went to the banquet for the federation here last year, will go again this year and have always spent good $ at the banquets over the years.Some years I whould go to 2-3 banquets around the state in AZ. That $ helps turkeys everywhere. A state should not restrict. Non res. just cap the total and not 1% , most states do 10% with most animals. And some do alot more. Yes the badlands is Pretty. and a nice treasure for You folks up here. I am just spoiled, in Az. only17% of the state is private. Never had to ask to hunt anything in My 34 Years of living there.Way more nat.ional forrest than 1 whould expect, and BLM. In closing I also think ND game & fish waited at least a year to late to reduce deer tags during those bad winters here. Last year was easy but if we get another bad winter animals will really be in trouble here. Happy hunting....BOB!

NR can get a Turkey tag, if there are any leftover tags after first draw for res a
NR can buy one for that unit.

That was for the fall hunt I believe. I don't think thats the case in the spring. And if so there wasnt any leftovers. I ;m not a fall turkey hunter. Not near as much fun as the spring. Plus in the fall I am big game hunting. I guess We can't have it all.Thanks....BOB PS, Just checked the web site, and residents can get leftover tags but not res. (spring) didn't check fall but I think non res. can get fall leftover......BOB!

Last edited:
Good to see some Nd talk here. I am a new Nd res, and have asked several landowners around here and have only been told no by one family and that was to hunt pheasants. Have one very good family, that has given my permission to hunt well over 2k acres of land, that hold some very nice bucks. Minus 1 now !
Wishing that I would have tired a little harder for what we though was a 5x5, and turns out to be a 8x5. Amazing what a spotting scope will show ya, versus binocs ! 3 pieces of trash on the right side.

And as for the grass lands, even though they are privately owned, they are public hunting areas. And hold some big deer.

You can buy leftover turkey tags in the fall. They are about $80 though which is kind of stupid. And I'm pretty sure you can't buy a leftover spring tag as a non resident.

nwtfhunter- what brings you to ND? I assume the oil industry?

Good to know You got on some land. Congrats on the buck. I am too whimpy to go out in the cold to archery hunt. I am frm AZ. and can't call it fun when I'm freezing. Too old to (56),but can handle it in rifle time. Bad enough I gotta work in , don't wanna play in it....BOB!

Bob, you are soo missing out by not trying the archery thing. I would have never guessed that I could have gotten within 100 yds of my buck, let alone 56. It was still moderately warm that day when I shot mine. We were out again today, spotting a couple real nice bucks on the property. And will be hitting the pheasant in the morning. You just gotta dress for it I guess.

Ya I know . It was -12 at work yesterday morn. No wind and I was fine. I take my bino's with Me in the truck and saw some great whitetail at sun up. Know their pattern too. Just gotta get back into the bow thing. I think if I don't get drawn here next year , I will. Like to get a used bow as little as I shoot but hard to find as I am a lefty....BOB!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back