PEAX Equipment

North Dakota Antelope Scouting

Hunter numbers were relatively low in the unit and I only saw a couple hunters during scouting. I knew that there was a risk with this buck spending so much time near a main road and on public land. My glassing point was ¾ of a mile directly up a spur road from where the other hunters parked. The other hunters parked within 100 yards of the bedded buck. While I thought about my options before I spoke with the other hunters I had made the decision to stand down with the other hunters parked in position to shoot the buck. What changed my mind was that the buck got up from his bed and walked about ¾ of a mile over and along a ridge. The others hunters parking location had them in position to make a shot come opener, but it also did not allow them to watch the buck being so close. They were unaware that the buck was no longer in his bed and was well out of view when I approached. This was confirmed when the other hunter did not want me to walk over the hill they were parked on when I left him as the buck would be spooked. In retrospect I would have been better of hiking in from another direction and come 11:00 I may have had the buck all to myself. Instead I lead the hunters to the buck. Again, I understand their actions and do not like to be involved with that type of competition for an animal while hunting.

The morning of day 2 had me looking for new bucks, since after my number 2 and 3 bucks the quality fell off quickly. I made a six mile loop in a new area north of where I had been looking. Just before I made it back to the truck I took a rest on a hillside. While there I spotted an antelope about 1.5 miles away. Right away I knew it was my number 2 buck. He had moved a couple miles from where I had last saw him. He had been a loaner and still had no does with him. I watched until he went out of view. I was not able to hike to him because there was land that I could not hunt between us.

IMG_1151.jpg

I made a 15 mile drive to get to where I could access. I hiked in a little over a mile and was getting concerned as I was not seeing him even though it was mostly rolling hills. Then I saw the horns only a few hundred yards away. He was bedded under a tree in a shallow draw.

IMG_1152.jpg

I backed out and moved in from another direction. He was bedded facing away from me. I waited a little over an hour seeing if he would stand and letting the afternoon temps start to fall. I moved in closer with him facing away. I set up at 240 yards and made a shot while he was still in his bed. He stood up and did a 180 and I put another shot into him. Both bullets found there mark through the lungs and he fell over back into his bed. I was extremely happy after all the ups and downs over the last few days. I boned out the meat and packed him back to the truck as the sun set.

IMG_1158.jpgIMG_1160.jpgIMG_1168.jpg

I was able to pack up camp and make it home in time to see my wife and daughter before they went to bed.

IMG_1174.jpg

Nice buck, I am still laughing when I picture the ordeal with the first buck and 3 different hunters in a foot race to kill it.

Great buck! Glad you were able to enjoy your hunt and come home with a great buck. Congrats!

congrats on an awesome buck. He's got just about everything. Love how those ivory tips almost touch in the middle. Well done!

Oh boy, the perils of public land hunting.

I think I like your buck better than the one that got away. Congratulations

I agree would love to hear the score. Great buck, dig those heavy horns. Congrats

He scored better than I thought. He also was bigger when I walked up to him than I thought in pictures. I was a little surprised when he green scored 78 2/8 gross, 77 2/8 net. His mass up top was real good and 15.5" length. His weakest scores were his prongs. Definitely the closest I have came to a book or even B&C award animal. I packed out the cape, but decided not to do a shoulder mount. After scoring him I may regret that decision. Not because the score is what matters, but the score gives me a barometer on my chances of taking an equal or better buck and this one may be difficult to top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back