North American Model with Shane Mahoney - Part 1 of 5

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This year I've decided to focus our podcast on topics that have a lot more depth to them; topics not given too much consideration in the outdoor media space.

Shane Mahoney, one of Dr. Valerius Geist's co-authors on putting the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation into a written structure, has been a long-time friend. Shane asked if I had any interest in doing a deep dive into the Model and allow him to use the podcast as a manner to address the volumes of questions he gets about the Model and how he sees it being applied (and sometimes misapplied).

I liked his proposal, knowing this Model is a pathway to a lot of discussions among hunters. So, Shane scripted five episodes with background and questions for us to consider. I do most the asking and he does most the answering, as it should be given his expertise and my lack of the same.

If you are interested in the history of this Model, how it came to be something in written form after being utilized for over 100 years, this podcast will give some food for thought. Also, the consideration of the historic context of what tenets of this model have accomplished and how that might be different today.

You can find it on all the popular podcast apps.

Or listen/download here - https://www.stitcher.com/show/hunt-...0-ramblings-from-new-mexico-elk-camp-46695281

Thanks to Shane for asking me to help with his efforts on this topic. We are also working on a much bigger project related to his work around wild food harvest, to include podcasts, video, and other media platforms.

This is fantastic! What a great subject to cover in so much depth with one of the leading experts on the subject. I can’t wait to listen to all the episodes.

Episode #2 is live this morning. Link below or on your favorite podcast app.

I have some catching up to do! Thanks for all your work in conservation!

My dad and I listened to the first episode while I was helping him with work and we finished it a different day while driving out for a hike. He wanted to say that he really likes this conservation focus and enjoys learning about it.

We look forward to listening to the rest!

I have all the admiration for Shane just can’t listen to him. Something about his voice just puts me to sleep.

Love the content. I looked up HT radio episode 4, the first time he was on the show. Great stuff. I wish I’d known about this guy a long time ago.

I listened to #2 an #3 today while riding around in a deluge familiarizing myself with some new to me pieces of public ground. I really appreciate this type of content.

I particularly appreciated the discussion on why furbearers remained marketable as well as the discussion on game farms.

I am on episode 2 now. These sort of podcasts that you put out and these experts you interview are soooo interesting

Sorry that beaver trapping had me out of the loop for ten days. Here is a link to Episode 5 of 5. It includes some summary, but mostly Shane's version of what is over the horizon as it pertains to wildlife management and the North American Model tenets being part of that future.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back