Nonresident Big Game Hunts

Big Iron

Hello everyone I am new to to the group. I was wondering if any other states besides Colorado has over the counter big game tags for non residents? I have checked a lot of the state websites and it seems all but Colorado are draw only? I am looking for a pronghorn, mule deer or elk hunt. I live in Iowa and own 400 acres in the Loess Hills area of western Iowa and would also be interested in hosting a whitetail hunt for one of the animals I mentioned. Thank you!

OTC archery deer in Arizona. I have to look in to the deer elk combe license. Id love to be able to hunt up there with my dad again.

Last edited:
Non resident antlerless whitetails are OTC in Kansas. For non residents these may not be valid state wide, but district specific.

Several states have OTC black bear tags, you could either add one to your elk / deer hunt or go in the spring and concentrate exclusively on bears (which is an awesome hunt).

I understand the desirability of OTC tags to a guy new to non-resident western hunting due to simplicity, but even in many of the draw states / species you can hunt every year with a little research and planning ahead of time. Of course, if you're talking about hunting this year, OTC and leftovers are about your only option.

Last edited:
Go to Montana, stop by a FWP office (or go online for a few) and you can walk out with 5 tags in your pocket (predators subject to minimum waiting period though).

Big game combo (elk/deer) $989
Black bear $350
Mountain Lion $320
Wolf $50

Hello fellow Iowan, I grew up and my family still lives in North Central Iowa as well as my in-laws. I now live in UT but have lived in and hunt several western states. Idaho has some good OTC opportunities but most of OTC can be challenging and depend on what type of hunt you are looking for...e.g. rifle, muzzleloader or archery - backpacking, horseback, etc..

Shoot me a PM if you would like to chat more.

Regards,
SpikeCamp

oregon has OTC hunts and wyoming has leftover antelope tags every year. you can walk in and buy them after the draws until they run out. AZ has leftover tags too for coues deer.

Hey all! Very good info from you all many thanks! I think I will be looking at Montana for this year and maybe Idaho as I have close family in Boise. Antelope tag in Wyoming sounds great too! I run a excavating business and generally do a lot of ag work in the fall so it is hard for me to do a draw type scenario a year out because as soon as I do that we get slammed with work! Any body looking at Iowa for whitetails numbers are down Statewide because of EHD but still a great place to kill a giant!!

Back