Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-typical Waterfowl Dogs

Well that was a specklebelly, but very impressive nonetheless.

If you are into out of the ordinary, rare dogs, check out the Deutscher Wachtelhund, or the more common name, German spaniel. Super rare here in the states, really common in Germany. They are water retrievers, upland dogs, and blood trackers. Their size is similar to a springer. I've wanted one for years, strongly considered one before I got our current meathead shown below with Saturdays bounty.

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_185157671.jpg
    PXL_20221217_185157671.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 19

Gator is a bad little mofo.

If tennis balls were birds skinny one is a machine. She’ll chance a ball till she can’t run anymore, then go after more.

If naps were birds, the pudgy one is your girl.

The skinny would be an epic hunting dog if there were birds in southwest Ohio…

You cannot beat the temperament of a golden.

Attachments

• 4FEE3062-748E-4363-B4CC-A96321AC85FE.jpeg
    4FEE3062-748E-4363-B4CC-A96321AC85FE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • AF53E2DE-4276-4396-B9B4-7BF90AD3FB95.jpeg
    AF53E2DE-4276-4396-B9B4-7BF90AD3FB95.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
My hunting mentor is on his 5th Brittany. One of the 5 was an avid duck dog, but that was somewhat of an anomaly. She also refused to retrieve geese unless they were stone dead.

Our next dog is very likely a lab. Size, boisterousness, odor, and messiness are all downsides. However, the upsides are so strong it’s hard to make a case for a different breed. I especially love their endless enjoyment of retrieving, love of the water, excitement of finding birds, and overall gusto…the ones I’ve hunted over have all been more excited to hunt than the human companions.

Dude you gotta follow gator… easily the best bird dog content on Al gores interwebs.

That is awesome!

"When someone asks what gator dreams about". I hear it in will ferrell's voice.

Mine could swallow a partridge whole.
My half lab half chessie swallowed a diving duck whole - pointy beak and all. Dog was excellent at upland and waterfowl, had an incredible nose. Still a lot like a lab, just oilier, more drool, and a harder head.

Thanks for all the input everyone, this thread did not disappoint.

I've also been looking at Nova Scotia Duck Tollers, which seem like the energy and water disposition of a lab crammed in a smaller package.

Let's see some more photos of pups in action.
Tollers are a blast, definitely a fun high energy dog. I would agree kinda like a light weight lab. Would be a great upland dog as well, they can really put on miles.

A few others have mentioned a Boykin. I think that could be the way to go. I've hunted over a few and they are fantastic retrievers. They can't really break ice and may not be suited for bigger water but they're gritty all the same and will be less dog than a lab or whatever around the house.

They are spaniel type dogs so when they're puppies they'll be a handful. But truly could be the perfect choice for you Cornell. Good luck on the search.

A buddy up north hunts with his heeler
View attachment 256749
I’ve got an old rescued border collie that’s retired, but he’s hunted and retrieved quail, pheasant, duck, dove, every thing up to a goose basically. Retrieving and flushing was definitely his strong suit. Not a good nose though.

A buddy up north hunts with his heeler
View attachment 256749
Funny I was just thinking… I bet a heeler could be a great duck dog. My buddies has a strong fur drive, super athletic/smart and loves retrieving.

In @Cornell2012s post he mentioned non-typical duck breeds so to that end, anyone here hunted with either a beagle or a feist?

Back