Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Male vs female dogs

npaden

Okay. For the most part I’ve only had female dogs. They just seem to have better temperament to me and I can’t stand a dog trying to hump things.

I have had one male that we had neutered and he was a great dog and for the most part kept the humping things at a minimum.

We are looking for a new dog and leaning toward a started dog and seems like limiting ourselves to a female is taking more than half of the options off the table before we even get started.

There is a beautiful male yellow lab started on birds and sheds for a reasonable price that seems like the perfect dog for us except it is a male.

Am I being dumb to limit myself to a female? We would most likely get any dog we have fixed whether it is a male or female.

Does the breed make a difference? We’ve always had labs but I’ve been tempted to try a wirehaired griffon. Very hard to find one of those as a started dog though.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

I have always had labs. I currently have one male and two female and wouldn't hesitate to go with a male or female. My male is a stud dog and has never shown Stud behavior maybe we got lucky with him but I think most has to do with interaction and nipping some of that stuff at a young age.

We have a 7.5 WPG and just got a pup of that breed. We’ve had 2 labs previously. All dogs were male, none really had that trait. Both great breeds. If you go to the AWPGA site they list breeders. Breeders will also list dogs of theirs that other people have bought and hunted or trained but can no longer keep due to life circumstance. I know a couple people that have gotten older dogs that way that we’re happy. Just an option for you.

I've always had female dogs but got a male lab puppy this Summer. He's been the most mellow well behaved dog I've ever had. No humping or pee marking anything. Great with the neighbor kids and other dogs. The male Corgi puppy we got around the same time is a little butthole though.

Attachments

• received_666014784908092.jpeg
    received_666014784908092.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 19
When i was married the wife bought a male maltese. Nuetered him asap. Damn thing pissed on everything. Carpet, sofa, recliner, bed. Everything.

I've always had female dogs as pets (not hunting dogs) for exactly what you mentioned on temperament. That said I hunt every year with amazing and wonderful male labs. I think both are great and there is nothing wrong with males but personally I will always have females because its what I grew up with.

9F50067D-2E81-4C34-A934-D8ABE9293619.jpeg

Last edited:
If you Neuter your dog and say you love it like family you’ve something wrong my friend…..

don’t you like humping?

I've had 7 female dogs over the span of 30 years. I got a male and female lab a couple years ago, and I will never own another female dog again... they don't run off, but they are bitches, moody, and just want to fight. I didn't know what I was missing with a male until i got one. My last female died recently, she easily cost me $15000 in vet bills to patch up other dogs or her patch jobs. I wanted to shoot her about 4 different times. Had the gun and a trash bag out more than once. Wife talked me down. My other females also fought or attacked other females. They'd be fine for 6months then lose their shit and duke it out with their "sister." It was maddening. If I have a female it will be only with a male or a single dog.

Get a male, keep him intact, and genuinely try and love him like a son. Humping your pillow and all….

Bet it’s the best dog you’ve ever had.

I've had 50/50 male to female and loved them all. My daughter has a female that humps everything she can wrap her paws around. So, there are no guarantees either way and the girl dogs are hell on the lawn. Of course, the boy dogs are hell on the lawn mower if you leave it out.

Raised Chessies, had a handful over the years and had good luck with both M&F. My most “aggressive” dog (in regards to being around other dogs/people) was a female, my hardest working (most drive) was a male. Would give a slight edge to trainability to the females primarily cuz they’d be ready to go from the jump and didn’t have to run around pissing on everything first.

I’m sure someone can show you numerous overlapping bell curves of different tendencies when it comes to males versus females. That said, I’d wager a bulk of the variation between the two is more reliant on the individual and it’s training than by sex.Just going off of dogs I’ve met and owned.

There’s a lot of people very serious about their dogs who have males on here - @JLS and @mtmiller come to mind.

I did the same. Preferred females. But we got a male pup last year because that was our only choice out of that litter. He's the best dog, doesn't pee on anything, only humps a little when he gets worked up rough housing with other dogs.

I think it can depend on the breed too. When we first met with our breeder, we were set on a female. He said the males tended to adapt to life changes (children, moving, etc) better as they got older. We have a WPG.

I've always had female dogs but got a male lab puppy this Summer. He's been the most mellow well behaved dog I've ever had. No humping or pee marking anything. Great with the neighbor kids and other dogs. The male Corgi puppy we got around the same time is a little butthole though.
Gus is kinda a dick around other dogs… rarely humps

Nothing else to add. Here are some unsolicited corgi gifs

1669127266324.gif
1669127286777.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back