Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Non-typical Waterfowl Dogs

Cornell2012

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly I want to see more photos of Gus with a bird in his mouth (ahem... @wllm ) but also a serious question:

Other than labs, which dogs have you seen or had good luck with in a duck blind?

We just bought a house and have an opportunity to finally get a dog. I want to take it into the duck blind and maybe do a little upland, but don't want the full force of nature that was my last 90lb black lab. It would need to be an inside companion as much as a duck machine.

Thoughts on breeds or even breeders I should look at? Lillian had English Setters growing up so she's partial to them, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up as a duck dog.

Gus the shorter definitely can't handle big water/fast water and struggles with really think veg, that's were you just can't beat a big dog like Gus the Elder @BrentD

Corgis/Teckels and Jack Russels can all fly under the seat on just about any airline which is very convenient.

Mostly I want to see more photos of Gus with a bird in his mouth (ahem... @wllm ) but also a serious question:

Other than labs, which dogs have you seen or had good luck with in a duck blind?

We just bought a house and have an opportunity to finally get a dog. I want to take it into the duck blind and maybe do a little upland, but don't want the full force of nature that was my last 90lb black lab. It would need to be an inside companion as much as a duck machine.

Thoughts on breeds or even breeders I should look at? Lillian had English Setters growing up so she's partial to them, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up as a duck dog.
I have 2 English Setters (Llewelyns). A few weeks ago another hunter had wounded a shoveler in a ditch and their dogs wouldn’t go in after it. Both my setters are birdy as can be, one retrieves fairly well, but they’re pathetic swimmers.

I coaxed Mae into the cold water and she kept after the duck, it kept diving, she kept getting more and more flustered, and eventually she chased it up on shore where the hunter grabbed it.

She got the job done, but it didn’t inspire confidence. And I’ve had her in a blind and she’s a terror. Knows she’s hunting but it kills her to sit still. I love em, but duck dogs they are not 😂

Gus the Elder flew, once...

DSCN0143.JPG
But we don't do that any more. I don't think I'll ever fly with a dog again, unless it is in the cabin with me.

@Cornell2012, you could do a lot worse than a good golden. The problem is finding the good ones. There are some places to look. The facebook group "Working Goldens" will show some really nice dogs and you can contact some of those people to see if they have plans for pups. I don't think they advertise litters on that website. Expect to pay more and travel further for a good one. Gus the Elder came home to Iowa from New York.

I'd really like to see Gus the Shorter in action one day. He'd be a dynamite grouse dog, being low to the ground.
20190914_065458.jpg

20211128 Gus on a Stump B.jpg

We mostly hunt upland but a few ducks a geese now and then. We have a springer, this is our second springer and is spastic compared to the first one. She does good im the house but is full of energy and needs her play time.

We picked up a boykin/lab cross about 8 months ago and is way more mellow. She's just starting to hunt but I think she'll do her part if we do ours.

My vote ... a small labrador. Mine weighs around 47#. Chill around the house and crazy about hunting. Go to a retriever hunt test or field trial, you'll see why labradors are still the preferred breed. Boykins, poodles, goldens ... really hard to not laugh at their performances. I'm sure they're awesome dogs ... but just not retrievers/hunters.

Sure the hair gets old. But watch a poodle bee-bop through a field looking for a dead duck sometime and the hair becomes tolerable. Or one of those big stupid show goldens prance around like the prima donnas they are.

I had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since I was in High School. Lost my last one a year ago at age 14. Their water and retrieving abilities are without question. They are loyal and protective to the family they own. Though I never hunted upland birds with them, I know folks that do.

I'm sure you're right, but man the 2 labs and 1 golden I know are candy asses (all the HTers dogs I know are great)
As a HTer with a labrador, of course mine's great so we'll put that to bed right there.

But yes, there are some candy ass labs out there for sure. Best way to weed that out is pedigrees, but also pictures of the parents. If the lab is shaped like your corgi ... run away.

I think you can get what you want in a dog regardless the breed. But I'm a lab guy so obviously this thread is worthless. As far as the candy ass dogs go are you guys simply referring to a dog with no drive?

Last edited:
I do not hunt birds with my Airedales, but AKC is now allowing them out of the Spaniel category for competition, and the first Champion was awarded competing against retrievers in 2021. Airedales are headstrong, but are fantastic companions and super fast learners. Make hunting a game with them, and they are all over it. But you have to be ready for a goofy gun dog - they find a way to make me laugh every single day. I know breeders that have big ones (70-100#), but our 60# female from Iowa is about the perfect size for everything. I hike with mine, and they are fur-dogs, but I know plenty of folks that use them for birds. I hope to start a pup on birds when I retire (I don't have the energy to work and train right now, and my wife doesn't have puppy patience).1671584057659.png

I was looking hard at a wire haired pointing griffon until I ended up getting two more labs. They are supposed to be a real good versatile dog and don’t shed much which would be a plus for an indoor dog. Problem is finding one unless you want a puppy.

I think the different designations are odd, but the “British” labs are generally smaller and much calmer than the “American” labs. That’s what we’ve been getting lately.

I know you said non lab but i wouldnt want anthor breed in the enviroment mine deals with. He could be running thru prickle pears chasing upland and few hours later be swimming in a icey river with significant current. The whole time happy as hell and no reguard for the weather. He's my wifes best friend and amazing around my daughter he is a member of this family.

I know you said non lab but i wouldnt want anthor breed in the enviroment mine deals with. He could be running thru prickle pears chasing upland and few hours later be swimming in a icey river with significant current. The whole time happy as hell and no reguard for the weather. He's my wifes best friend and amazing around my daughter he is a member of this family.
Yup.

My wife's female Airedale is the toughest SOB of a dog I have ever seen, and my big old boy is close (but getting old). When my wife had cancer, neither dog left her side. Happiest in the woods or water, but does danged well leaning against you on the sofa.

It's a very good thing I am limited on how many dogs I can have. We have two Airedales and a Rat Terrier, but would have a Lab, a Chessy, and a Drathar just to start if we had the room (and lack of brain cells).

I know a couple guys that have Boykins and the waterfowl hunt with them, but can't say that I've ever hunted with them or seen them in action.

I'd think wirehaired pointing griffon would be worth a hard look.

Obviously you're looking for non-Lab options and it'll be interesting to see what shakes out, but for an ideal duck dog / house dog seems like it'd be hard to beat a smaller (45-65lb) female lab with good hunting pedigree, some British bloodlines, and a bred-in "off switch" for being in the house.

Back