PEAX Equipment

Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all do respect Shooter, it was the outfitters that broke the deal. I was there the whole way.
So let me see:
Outfitters to Sportsmen: So if you agree to give us another 5500 tags that go to Outfitters only, they will be unlimited, but if we oversell then the next year prices will even out so only 5500 a year are sold. We will make sure that money goes into a fund that will open the door to massive amounts of lands to all, outright purchases, and leases. We will make sure that we keep the number of outfitters where they are today give or take, and we won't increase the competition on public lands.

So after a decade of this "Agreement" the Outfitters started to hire way more "Guides" than they had on hand in the beginning. For a fee, or hunting permission many outfitters were "Hiring" landowners as "Guides" working for them. Those "landowners" would make the money for guiding through the Outfitters license, and then either pay a fee or let the outfitter take clients on those lands.

Leased properties went through the roof in acreage and haven't left. Weird the tags are needed as both of you on this forum claim your booked.

Outfitters never joined in with sportsmen to acquire lands for "All" they never joined in with sportsmen, for the resource. They only showed up when it was time for a hand out, or when a restriction was possible, like limited entry tags. God forbid we raise the bar for wildlife vs some other special interest group.

So we tired of the "agreement" that was being abused yearly in over sales of tags leased lands blocking more access, crowding on public lands and decided to run the chance of an Initiative to do away with this OSL "Agreement".

I'm not sure what the next "Initiative" might look like, but I do know we are really not happy with MOGA a group that represents Outfitters.

The competition, and arrogance displayed towards the resident, and NR DIY sportsmen was on full display this session through MOGA. For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Do you not agree?

You reap what you sow, and there's more seeds to follow this session. Underestimating the resident hunters resolve could have historic ramifications in todays political world. I'm half full.
It was not the outfitters who broke the trust. Ballot initiative 161 broke the trust.
Under the tenure of the OSL numbers of outfitters and leased acres went backward. When the OSL was created there was something like 7-8 million acres leased by outfitters, as per the current audit on BoO we are currently using 6-6.2m.
As to the wildlife, I will speak only to Eastern Montana (the only MT left).

Region 6 mule deer need management. We need to pressure this commission to end an 11 week slaughter of “OUR” resource. The muzzleloader season should replace the last 20 days of general (rifle)season. Muzzleloader or archery only. Or go to LE permits the last 15-20 days of rifle season.
While we’re making demands, pick your region, then area within region, pick weapon will follow. There are to many hunters, R&NR for a finite resource. I am willing to do this even though it will harm my potential outfitting wise.

Those with better ideas come forth, as there are better and brighter minds on here than mine.

BTW, I wasn’t on a spinner either(would’ve liked to if that counts)😄 I’ve been preoccupied with cattle and spring planting. Looking at the driest spring I’ve ever seen. We’re drier right now than ‘85 or ‘88. Looking at empty stock dams and tough range conditions. A grain crop that won’t sprout without rain. So I’ve haven’t been up to much.

Outfitters are gettin discounted tags now?
Outfitters clients are getting tags that no other NR has access to. Subsidizing the outfitting industry simple as that.

The outfitters are paying exactly zero to the MTFWP for management of the resource...they're free-loaders. When they pay a penny to the MTFWP, it will be their first.

As we have discussed I was a MT resident for 3 years.
My sister works completely remote, and travels around.
So say I want a tag, I could ask her to move up to MT, she could go to Bozeman live there for 6 months, then we could get tags and go hunt.

I think we both agree, that's ridiculous.

If you move out of a state you move out, seems a bit have your cake and eat it too to heavily restrict NR tags but then allow a subset of NR to hunt whenever they want.
What's the difference?

Outfitted clients get all the tags they want with this new legislation.

Nobody in Montana has cared about the resource for 65 years anyway.

If you wondered what kind of new bills would be pushed in the current Montana legislature, here is a sample. Reinstating the outfitter license that was done away with by citizens ballot initiative is back.

Full text of the bill is at this link - https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/SB0143.pdf

It is bad for residents and bad for self-guided non-residents.

Hearing the Senate Fish & Game Committee on February 2nd.

Here are the members of the Senate Fish & Game Committee:

Hinebauch, Steve (R) ‑ Chair
Brown, Bob (R) ‑ Vice Chair
Jacobson,Tom (D) ‑ Vice Chair
Blasdel, Mark (R)
Cohenour, Jill (D)
Ellsworth, Jason (R)
Flowers, Pat (D)
Hertz, Greg (R)
Howard, David (R)
Keenan, Bob (R)
McClafferty, Edie (D)

To find the email or phone number for your Senator, here is the link - https://leg.mt.gov/legislator-information/

I would strongly recommend you weigh in on this one.
BUMP

They’re in the same pool as me, they have the option to spend $200 to up their odds... that’s a far cry from unlimited $307 licenses, which is bullshit. Folks are worried about population growth in Montana, they need to stop the unlimited come home to hunt licenses at $307 a pop. Would you still come kill dinks for $700 buzzy boy?

What's the difference?

Outfitted clients get all the tags they want with this new legislation.

Nobody in Montana has cared about the resource for 65 years anyway.
It doesn't you're right.

You are the one that highlighted, treating a class of people differently though. That program isn't for all former residents or for any NR that has family in Montana. If was "anyone with a MT birth certificate" I think that would be one thing.

They’re in the same pool as me, they have the option to spend $200 to up their odds... that’s a far cry from unlimited $307 licenses, which is bullshit. Folks are worried about population growth in Montana, they need to stop the unlimited come home to hunt licenses at $307 a pop. Would you still come kill dinks for $700 buzzy boy?
Come home to hunt tags are capped and full price.

Also, you need to read the law that actually passed...you're out in the weeds.

@BuzzH I think the overarching point is Montana wants to hand pick the NR they allow to hunt and that's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
IX isn't the largest landowner in Blaine County...but yes, I've hunted the IX from the late 80-'s through 1998.

Region 6 mule deer need management. We need to pressure this commission to end an 11 week slaughter of “OUR” resource. The muzzleloader season should replace the last 20 days of general (rifle)season. Muzzleloader or archery only. Or go to LE permits the last 15-20 days of rifle season.
While we’re making demands, pick your region, then area within region, pick weapon will follow. There are to many hunters, R&NR for a finite resource. I am willing to do this even though it will harm my potential outfitting wise.

Those with better ideas come forth, as there are better and brighter minds on here than mine.

BTW, I wasn’t on a spinner either(would’ve liked to if that counts)😄 I’ve been preoccupied with cattle and spring planting. Looking at the driest spring I’ve ever seen. We’re drier right now than ‘85 or ‘88. Looking at empty stock dams and tough range conditions. A grain crop that won’t sprout without rain. So I’ve haven’t been up to much.
I 100% agree with restricting the season length and I would guess most here do also. Perhaps some support from MOGA would go a long ways to change it?

I wish you the best with your growing season. Was just out in Glendive and it’s as dry as I’ve ever seen. Maybe we could make NR hunters bring 5 gallons of water with them when they come out to hunt😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back