Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Non-resident opportunities

Woodrow

In general, what states offer the best opportunities for non-residents to draw/buy bull elk tags for rifle hunting in decent areas? I wouldn't be looking for record class bulls, a good opportunity at a 300+ class bull would be ideal. I'm not interested in a guided hunt/outfitters. I don't have a big budget to work with. Adding mule deer or antelope to the equation would be excellent.

Thanks.

Co. is the best bet hands downQ No draw needed in most units. Where there are elk there are mule deer most places in Co.

Woodrow, pick up the Sept/Oct. Bugle magazine and look at the Elk hunting forecast. That article will give you alot of information that you are looking for. Also in there is an article titled, "Do-It-Yourself Elk Hunts- even if you didnt draw a tag". Some great info in that article also.

Colorado in the third or fourth season depending on when the snow flies.Try and shoot for a season in the beginning of November. This is really one of the few do it yourself open public hunts that will yeild a 300 class bull in rifle season. Keep in mind you are hunting in sub zero weather most of the time. There are some quality mulies at the same time you hunt elk. My advice is to start with a phone call to the local game biologist in the area you are thinking about hunting. They will give you invaluable information on percentages and migration populations and local populations bull to cow ratios, bla bla bla! You get the point.

There are a few other states also, but always start the same way by calling state/local biologists in the area you are checking out. Look in the record books also for the counties yielding the biggest bulls open to the public.

Put in for draw hunts if you are really serious though!!!

Thanks for the info guys, please keep it coming. Realistically it'll be likely be two years before I can set out on this quest, but as is I don't know much about other states regarding access, licenses/tags/fees, and hunting locations...I've got a lot of work to do.

One thing I'll add, I fully realize the likely hood of bagging a 300 class elk on public land in country that I've never stepped foot on or laid my eyes on is a long, long shot, BUT all I'm wanting is the opportunity to be in woods that could hold a 300 class bull...the rest is up to me, win or lose!

BigHornRam said:
Woodrow,

Idaho, in the same unit Jose hunts is by far the best place to hunt. Tags are sold on a first come basis.

Good luck
That rules out the opportunity for Woodrow to have a 300+ Bull..... That is a pretty tough criteria, and I wouldn't recommend any Idaho units for that. Only an idiot like BHR would do such. :D

That's right Jose, I forgot. The wolves ate all the elk in Idaho! But you can still get a tag without having to draw one. If you got off your ATV seat and hiked a bit, you'ld also learn that "300 class" bulls are not as uncommon as you think in your home state.

Only an idiot would listen to Jose! Idaho, best place to hunt elk for non residents.

Listen to the guys talking about doing your homework Woodrow. A scouting trip during the summer helps if you can swing it (and your wife is understanding). Topos are invaluable. Don't rely on the locals unless you're paying them. Otc hunts are busy with hunters...as previously stated, draw hunts should offer the best odds.

Most important...put Jose on your ignore list. :D :D

Back