Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

No plastic or glass

mdcrossbow

all organic,
This sounds great. For some reason the antler {Elk Rosette gives out a nice sound, I also made the striker out of Cocobola {Bowl} and the striker rod from Ron Ron or Rum Rum wood both from Costa Rica.

Fits in the palm of your hand and good grip while striking. Sounds is amazing, soft and softer while with a slight bit of pressure the octaves jump. Dam I like making my own chit. I would have to clean it up a bit if I were to sell some. But natural and rugged looking , well that's Cool as a Moose! :-}

Just thought of this, No shinny material either to reflect from. AWESOME !

Added the back side.

Also the little blood vessels holes that lead in to the inner chamber add to the sound quality. Kind of like a bonus feature.

Attachments

• CIMG0001.JPG
    CIMG0001.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 175
  • CIMG0002.JPG
    CIMG0002.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I like that! I'm lucky to be able to make a sandwich, let alone something that looks that good and works!

That is very cool. How did you make the slate part?

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Now that is one damn fine looking call!

So are you saying I should stop using the bottom of a beer can or bottle, after I have emptied them of course, as my go to calls??

Bugler, I got the slate from a call maker who sells them. Then used a glass cutter to strik the areas I wanted to cut away.

One the rosette is cut out the rest is fashioning the slate and wood to fit. I use a 2 part epoxy to hold them both in.

Oh I see. It almost looked like it was poured, like it wasn't smooth. Awesome either way.

I just showed this to my hunting partner who owns a farm in Va when he passed through to pick up some furniture and he gave it a go and the smile on his face said it all. Yep it's a good one.

Thanks for the nice comments. I love making things. Even better when they turn out the way I hoped.

Great call,very creative.I have a few rosettes kickin' around,might have to try my hand at it.Couple of questions.I've been thinking about how you might have cut the slate to fit?Is it undersized with a wider epoxy line or more exact?I thought a plunge router would handle clearing out the bone.Does a dremel aid in this project?Another idea I have mulled over is creating a similar call out of a small painted turtle shell I have.

I like the turtle shell Idea. That would look cool. plus have a good residence sound from the convex shell.

I used a dremel to clean up the edges. I started out with a 2" hole drill hole saw bit. I used a grinder to shape the slate after I chipped the edges away. Trace the out line of the wood to the bottom and and the slate. Wood epoxy works good to hold them in place.

Seems easy enough,thanks for the guidance.Can you recomend a supplier for ther slate? I checked Midwest Turkey Supply,no leads there.I'd like to get one made for this springs Montana Merriams.

I have one I can send you. PM me your address.

You want to cut away all the bone, out to the brown area and use as big of a rosette you can find. I'm looking for some Moose rosettes to work. I think they are bigger.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back