No Optics on ML in NM 2023

Gee, even I know the difference between a muzzleloader and a breechloader no matter if they use the same powder or not. Never heard of a "breechloader" season. Oh wait, that's what they call rifle season!

Man I sure got you guys stirred up like a pot of chili! 😂🤣
Great insights and opinions!
Some are wrong, but great to read anyway.

Carry on gentlemen.

Breech plugs are the gateway drug in getting out of non primitive weapons but scopes take it to another level. That being said I do carry a breech plug gun and will hunt with one this year. Still gotta load it through the muzzle. No scope for me, though. NM did the right thing.

I'm really starting to appreciate Virginia's hunting regulations. The only things I can say nobody likes is them banning doe pee and feeding deer. But yall out in the western states got it hard and seemingly are going backwards. The purpose of muzzleloader season in my opinion is to make sure only the somewhat dedicated folks get to hunt the prime time of the rut. And the folks who only hunt rifle have a much shorter season. Same with bow, just extends your season that much longer but you have to put in the effort to use a bow.

I can't wait until a state makes you pass a profencientcy test to buy a muzzleloader tag or archery tag. Heck even rifle. I know there is a few hunts on military bases that require it. They don't have to be hard but certainly will be just enough of an inconvenience to weed out some of the idiots that don't know what they are doing.

On my NM hunt thus last week, I was beyond appalled by the outfitter and his kid client that shot that buck in front of me. 550 yard shot. So far that they couldn't see my cousin right by the buck. Almost killed them. Why? Well because the first shot I saw the kid hit way over his back. Then on the second shot, he took him out dead center of the deers face. When down there, the outfitter is preaching how "great of a shot that was from so far away". Direct quote just about. 🤦‍♂️ :unsure:🤦‍♂️
The topic is shooting tests came up on a local forum I’m a member of and I couldn’t believe the amount of opposition. IIRC, the intent of the discussion was for special urban hunts to top it off.

Gee, even I know the difference between a muzzleloader and a breechloader no matter if they use the same powder or not. Never heard of a "breechloader" season. Oh wait, that's what they call rifle season!
There was a big push by Federal I believe to get their system legalized for use in muzzleloader season last year in Indiana.

My muzzleloader in Mississippi and Louisiana is my single shot .38-55.

Attachments

• 486622F4-0726-4D24-94AE-2CA8D497C87E.jpeg
    486622F4-0726-4D24-94AE-2CA8D497C87E.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 14
Not wanting to derail the OP, but my buddy in Louisiana tells me their "primitive" allows even 35 Whelen. He uses an H&R Handi-Rifle in 45-70, scoped.

View attachment 252270
Yup. Even on over hunted public ground. I use a CVA Scout in .35 Rem. I wish it would go back to more primitive weapons. Of course, according to LDWF we have too many deer even on those over hunted public grounds where the doe to buck ratios seem to be approaching 10 to 1 or higher. I mean we could just issue less buck tags but…just kill them all. Management here is a real head scratcher.

What we need here in KY is a special season for the semiautomatic muzzleloaders. I’ve never seen one for sale, but we sure seem to have a lot of them as I hear several every year.

What we need here in KY is a special season for the semiautomatic muzzleloaders. I’ve never seen one for sale, but we sure seem to have a lot of them as I hear several every year.
You mean the AR Platform Muzzleloader Rifle... :(

They make'em :) :)

I would like to see the muzzle loader season include black powder cartridges. I have several Sharps, Winchesters and other traditional black powder cartridges that parallel the ballistics of muzzleloaders.

The other limiting factor is sights. I would also be in favor of traditional black powder cartridges with vintage equipped sights. As long as black powder is used with lead bullets, I believe the intent of the muzzleloader season is kept intact with those additions…
nope, nope, nope, you're missing the intent entirely. Now go play with a muzzle loader and see the difference.

You mean the AR Platform Muzzleloader Rifle... :(

They make'em :) :)
I want to hate it, but I want one. It would be super easy to throw a set of flip up sights. If they make one in 50 cal and a open ignition musket primer I might buy it.

I want to hate it, but I want one. It would be super easy to throw a set of flip up sights. If they make one in 50 cal and a open ignition musket primer I might buy it.
You know, they make traditional muzzleloaders that have flip up sights and even using musket caps (though you know you will lose accuracy with musket caps).

You know, they make traditional muzzleloaders that have flip up sights and even using musket caps (though you know you will lose accuracy with musket caps).
Well aware. Too bad hawkens with a lyman aperture are getting stupid expensive.

nope, nope, nope, you're missing the intent entirely. Now go play with a muzzle loader and see the difference.
You missed the point. It isn’t about the difference between muzzle loaders and black powder cartridges, it is about how muzzleloaders have been altered to the point of being modified to replicate smokeless powder cartridge guns and still be labeled muzzleloader.

A black powder cartridge gun is closer to what muzzleloader seasons started out to be, than what muzzleloaders have become through the modernization and development of muzzleloaders to get a cartridge type of advantage.

I am not endorsing the addition of another season for another firearm, just trying to point out how BPCR is closer to the original intent of muzzleloader seasons…

This thread got me thinking… so as I have gotten older my eyesight is not what it once was. I have to use reading glasses. What can be done to help with this when shooting open sights. It is a real PITA.

Hopefully you're not shooting anything up that close!

I haven't read the new regulation, but I doubt anything can be done like red dots or even 1x scopes. I think it's iron sights or pick another tag to put in for...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back