PEAX Equipment

no Bugles

cajuncaz

I am new at elk hunting and have found an area where i have seen some small bulls and some nice bulls. All the info I find about elk hunting talks about responding to elk bugles. What if you are out there and the elk are not bugling. I am an archery hunter, hunting though out September. What would be the plan of attack. Thanks very much. I am in Idaho.

Patience! If they are not bugling yet....they will. If you are in an area that you have seen Elk in in the past, give it time. And if you do find yourself out huntin' and the Elk are just not talkin' then unfortunately your gonna be pretty much limited to spot-n-stalk which can be tough with Archery equipment for Elk this time of year. I wouldn't sweat it though....those Elk will be screamin' before you know it.

PS....the majority of the mature bulls I've called in during the early season have come in silent.....a few have made a "glucking" sound that you can hear inside of about 60 yards or so. Bugle aggressively, rake trees, snap branches and wait, repeat. IMO, the big boys are most vulnerable prior to getting a harem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back