MT Elk talk

DogEatDog

My name is Andrew and I live in eastern MT but I'm from western MT. Going out to my spots in the bridgers and big belts next week for a bit and I have never bow hunted elk. Very successful in my other hunting endeavors and good at calling other game but excited to try bugling with the bulls or all the other yahoos which ever answers. Heard from a couple friends they are not talking too much from there experiences at the moment. Anybody actively hunt those areas? Not looking for a spot just some friendly (not obvious) advice or conversation.

Last edited:
I just got back from 10 days hunting the western part of Montana. We tried 8 different spots. They weren't talking. I figured I miss-timed the rut this year since the equinox was on the 23rd, but my buddy who's down there now is saying they're still quiet. We heard some stories of bulls coming in silently to their calls, but that's all. Maybe try to get them talking at night and locate them in the morning.

It gets tougher the later in the season you go. Elk have been talked to for a month now and are very cautious. Hunt the transitions zones from the north face bedding cover and listen and call very sparingly. Use raking and moans to sound different than most hunters. Good luck.

If I was you I would not waste time in the Bridgers. Between the kids on dirt bikes and the hooligans drinking beer on the ridge tops, it’s blown. There are elk there but you’ll only find them on the ranch in the north part of 393 or in the bangtails with no access. I don’t have experience in the belts so I can not speak to that. However, where we hunt in the breaks and out east they have been pretty quiet. With the cooler temperatures coming up it should pick up though Goodluck!

They’re talking around here, just gotta be in em. I agree with the moaning and whimpering instead of full blown 3 tier bugles. lol but they are talking. Good luck Andy

I got to watch a bull bugle back at me 300 yards away two nights ago. If I had a rifle I’d have my first bull 😩

Regardless, there’s no arguing, it’s taking off. I do think it’s a little later than last year, which isn’t bad. BIL got a cow Oct 8th last season and they were still going crazy. Looking forward to the next 2 weeks. Need hunting friends! Ha

Just spent a long weekend in MT, went a little later than last season, elk did seem less talkative than last year but hard to say, I think part of it is at this point the bulls are trying to hide the cows from other bulls, that is why they are mostly doing the quite moans sweet talking to the cows or occasionally quiet gather bugles if needed. Finding them is tough at this point, but if you do find them they are fixated on the cows so more vulnerable. Almost got a shot on a bigger satellite bull who had a single hot cow and he was sweet talking her until she busted me and took off, he started bugling to her and wouldn't stop, chased him a while finally got within 40 but saw each other at the same time and brush blocking the shot and they split. Even after they saw me he kept bugling and I was within 100 yards of him right until dark but couldn't catch a break. Heard another bull at midnight doing a fast loop around me doing gather bugles every couple minutes sweeping for cows, other than that covered a lot of ground but couldn't turn up the big bulls with cows, that is where knowing an area well helps once you start to learn the hiding holes.

If I was you I would not waste time in the Bridgers. Between the kids on dirt bikes and the hooligans drinking beer on the ridge tops, it’s blown. There are elk there but you’ll only find them on the ranch in the north part of 393 or in the bangtails with no access. I don’t have experience in the belts so I can not speak to that. However, where we hunt in the breaks and out east they have been pretty quiet. With the cooler temperatures coming up it should pick up though Goodluck!
Thank you for the info. I hunt the breaks also but only got a cow b for 700 this year. No bull tag. And yes I'm hoping this cooler temps fires them up. Should be perfect timing.

I just got back from 10 days hunting the western part of Montana. We tried 8 different spots. They weren't talking. I figured I miss-timed the rut this year since the equinox was on the 23rd, but my buddy who's down there now is saying they're still quiet. We heard some stories of bulls coming in silently to their calls, but that's all. Maybe try to get them talking at night and locate them in the morning.
Quiet is the general census I have been hearing from most. Hoping the cooler temps help but if they are still silent I like your night locating idea! Good call. Makes sense.

It gets tougher the later in the season you go. Elk have been talked to for a month now and are very cautious. Hunt the transitions zones from the north face bedding cover and listen and call very sparingly. Use raking and moans to sound different than most hunters. Good luck.
Thank you. Good advice.

Funny how people who arent hearing bugles just assume "the elk arent talking" rather than them just not being able to find elk.
Just got back from 2 weeks in the mountains. And we had no issues finding elk, saw more this year than the previous 6 years combined. I can testify they were not bugling nearly as much as the past 6 years.

Like others have mentioned handful of round up bugles right at first light than you had to be in them to hear the growls, moans and lazy bed bugles. 30mins before dark they would fire off again handful of bugles before they pushed cows to feed.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back