NM results?? Next week??

They should start sending out emails to successful applicants starting Tuesday evening.

If I remember right they should have the results posted to the website at 12:01 am Wednesday morning.

Can't wait! Last halfway decent chance at hunting down there, if you call 6% odds decent.

Got my fingers crossed! Might be the last time I apply in NM, but if they want to keep me happy and applying by giving me a tag I won't hate them for it.

With all the stuff that has been piled on my table here recently, I am kind of hoping I won't draw in NM, which will probably mean I am a sure thing. If I do, I will make the best of it, but won't be to dissapointed if I don't.

Now AZ on the other hand, I am just in for points, but have high hopes for my son drawing and will be dissapointed if he doesn't.

They should start sending out emails to successful applicants starting Tuesday evening.

If I remember right they should have the results posted to the website at 12:01 am Wednesday morning.

Can we "quote" you on that??:D:D

AZ

Does anyone know if Arizona refunds your license fee if you don't draw? NR license is $151 and I think you have to buy a license to get a pref point.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Arizona refunds your license fee if you don't draw? NR license is $151 and I think you have to buy a license to get a pref point.

No refund.....

ARIZONA
Arizona has a national reputation for trophy deer and elk hunting, but they also have spectacular trophy antelope hunting despite not having the antelope numbers of places like Wyoming and Montana. Arizona, along with New Mexico and Texas are the only opportunities for Coues deer in the US. While the image most folks have of Arizona being a desert is mostly true, a strip of mountains running northwest to southeast holds most of the elk habitat and National Forest lands. There are large holdings of BLM land in the rugged western and northern deserts, and probably more state land than any other western state (13% of the state). Indian Reservations make up a large percentage of the lands in eastern Arizona. There is a small wolf population in the Blue Range.

Kaibab National Forest, Arizona - photo by Erik Richman

Due to the requirement of purchasing a $150 hunting license before the drawing, Arizona has surprisingly good draw odds for a state whose trophy opportunities are so well published. The elk and antelope applications are due February 9th, 2010. Deer applications are normally due in June. You are required to pay the full fee of the $150 hunting license plus whichever species you are attempting to draw; $595 for elk, $485 for antelope and $232 for deer. Arizona does not have a preference system, but rather a bonus system to increase the odds for repeat applicants. The draw is different than most other states, utilizing what they call the 3 passes. The first is the bonus point pass, where up to 20% of the permits are issued, where those with bonus points through repeat applications, hunter education or group applicants have additional chances to be drawn. The remaining permits are allocated in the 2nd pass by attempting to randomly fill applicants' 1st and 2nd choices. The 3rd pass does the same thing with 3rd, 4th and 5th choices. For hunters who feel "stuck" with a $150 license they aren't likely to use if unsuccessful in the drawing, Arizona has some very diverse upland game bird opportunities that cannot be found in the East, including chukar, blue grouse, Gambel's quail, California quail, Mearn's quail, and scaled quail.Elk seasons vary quite a lot, but nearly every unit has a rifle season from November 26th to December 2nd. There are also rifle seasons during the rut, and a wide variety of archery seasons. Antelope seasons are almost all from September 3-12. Deer seasons rarely overlap with elk seasons, and most of the rifle deer seasons occur for 10 days in late October through early November.

Scopes, sabots and inlines are legal for muzzleloader hunting in Arizona.

State lands can be hunted. A valid hunting license grants you access to those lands. They are frequently posted, "No Trespassing without valid permit" or something similar.

Back