NM public land archery antelope

I was fortunate to draw an archery tag for a unit that is close to home and allowed me to scout throughout the summer. I found several areas that held decent bucks but there are a lot of knee high water tanks in the area. There wasn't any consistency to which tanks they were watering at so I decided to spot and stalk at first and if that didn't work out I would take my chances and pick one waterhole and sit it everyday after work and the entire second weekend of the hunt hoping a buck would would wonder by. Luckily I didn't need to worry about setting on water as I was able to shoot this buck on the first day. I spotted him from the truck about 200 yds from the road. After watching the truck for a few minutes he just started to walk straight away and feed. I got out of the truck and started to follow. When he would put his head down and feed I would walk fast and make up ground. He would occasionally lift his head and look back towards me I would hunker down behind a mesquite. I kept doing this until I got to 60 yds. I snuck up to the next mesquite but didn't take the time to rerange. I don't know why I rush things when I decide to take the shot. Maybe I will make better decisions with experience. I am trying something new this year on my bow. I have fixed pins at 20 and 30 and a slider pin for the rest. I had my slider set at 60 but didn't change it when I got closer. I just held my 60 pin a little low. Well the shot was low, but clipped his front leg and must have hit an artery becuase as I followed him and his tracks I started to notice lots of blood. I watched him bed and decided to give him time and let him bleed out. After about 30 minutes he got up and moved about 1/2 mile and bedded again. I decided I needed to sneek in and put another arrow in him. He was definately sick and had lost a lot of blood but was't going to die soon. After multiply failed attempts because of wind, other antelope, my sleeve deflecting a shot, I finally got to 30 yds and put one through his chest. I chased this antelope over 3 miles and for 7 hours. I am not proud of the poorly placed shot and the fact that the antelope had to suffer for so long, but I am happy that I was able to track, follow, and finish him off. The animal was not wasted and I was able to fill my freezer with steaks, and about 30 pounds of Pepporoni which my wife and daughter love. Overall it was a great experience and I learned a lot about my self and bowhunting. I owe it to the animal to take every step possible to make the best shot I can. Even if that means taking the exta time to range an animal and be comofortable with the shot knowing he might spook and run off while taking those extra precautions.

Making sausage on my wifes newly installed granite countertops. She wasn't exactly happy about that. I am currently putting in the old sink and countertop in my laundry room so that I can keep the meat processing out of the kitchen.

Ready for the smoker

My 2 year old daughter chowing down.

Nice work man! Great buck with a bow!!!! Good golley! AND, you do a fine job processing (nice press!) Pepporoni sticks!!!
Being made to move your opertation?......might need to pull the 'mancard'.?
However, the picture of your daughter enjoying the process = priceless. Ya get it back.
Again, great job.

Last edited:
Nice one, congrats! I love those sticks, but rolling the casings on the stuffer is about enough to make me go crazy...

Congrats on your buck. The pic of your daughter eating the pepperoni is priceless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back