NM Javelina

nmtaxi

My son and I headed to southern NM this weekend for a quick javie hunt. Luckily we were going to hit it just right witht the weather just warming up after a ridiculously cold week.
Started off the morning by seeing this group of turkeys, and actually calling these three dumb jakes to the truck. Didn't even have a call. Just clucked at them and they strutted in. I don't find any that stupid during the season.

turkey.jpg

After a long hike that morning and coming up empty, we were walking towards the truck when my boy said "Coati Mundi!!!". There were 8 or 9 of them sitting up in a tree watching us. While I guess they're fairly common in SW New Mexico, I had never seen them before. Strange little animals.

coatimundi.jpg

We tried a different spot that afternoon, and right away spotted a herd. We got within 50 yards and I picked out the biggest boar in the group. One tag filled, and we went looking for the herd again. Unfortunately we could never get back on them.

javie1.jpg

javie2.jpg

Fun, but quick hunt.

Nice! I saw my first coati in AZ in 2009, but it was quite a distance away. I'd like to see one up close.

Nmtaxi,
Congrats on the Jav. Have you ever tried calling them? When we hunt them, we glass until we see them, stalk close and decide on who wants to shoot first. Then the fun begins. After the shot the herd scatters and we start calling. Then it's handgun time, the sows usually come in popping teeth and woofing looking for the scared piglet. Thanks for sharing the pics, are you going back down to fill your Son's tag?

--Bill

Bill, I never have called them. I've heard it works well. Usually we don't find them in groups, so we've really not had the opporunity.
We're not sure if we'll get another chance to go down or not. My boy has killed a pile of them, so he gave me first shot. He's had much better luck with those critters than me, so he doesn't feel too bad about not filling his tag.

Here's a better pic of the coatimundi

coatimundi2.jpg

Coatimundi are quite a unique site. The only time I've seen them was Coues' hunting in the San Francisco river canyons. Cool that you could get pictures.

--Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back