Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

NM G&F change legal deer requirements

NM50CAL

The following is a cut and past of and article from a local news stations web site. Thought you might like to know..

Commission Increases Antler Points For Hunters

POSTED: 12:04 pm MDT July 20, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The state Game Commission has decided to increase the number of antler points a deer must have to be considered legal quarry during the upcoming fall and winter hunting seasons.
The commission decided Monday that bucks must have at least three distinct points on one side of their antlers.
The previous regulations required a minimum of two points.
The commission decided to change the antler rules in an effort to increase the number of deer in New Mexico.
Deer populations have been dropping across the West.
The commission also has approved a proposal to allow ranchers in limited deer-hunting regions to have as much deer hunting on their land as they wish.

The commission decided to change the antler rules in an effort to increase the number of deer in New Mexico.
The commission also has approved a proposal to allow ranchers in limited deer-hunting regions to have as much deer hunting on their land as they wish.
Does anybody else see this as a conflict? Looks like another example of a game department bowing to special interests. This isn't much different than the USO case, and I'll bet that outfitter will make money off of this decision.

Oak

I just talked to a game & fish officer, and he said the story is correct. The whole state will go to limited entry next year, and the landowners get to manage the deer herd on their land as they see fit. They will tell the G&F how many tags they want, and the G&F will comply with no questions asked. Outfitters and ranchers win again.

That’s exactly what I was thinking D.Sims.
soapbox.gif
Our deer population is pathetic and IMHO I have thought that with a draw system in place for deer there might be less pressure on the deer and the resources. I don’t think our deer population could get much worse. But what do I know anyway. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back