NM draw is open.

What up with barbary tags being cut back to 7 day? Anyone else notice any other changes so far?

I'm trying to get a NM javelina tag then combo it with an AZ tag or two for a couple weeks worth of javelina-chasin'. Maybe this will be the year ( or technically next year I suppose).
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Reactions: LCH
Well I am in again for deer.

I am swinging for the fences with all of my out of state apps this year since it appears the CO 3rd season tag I have my eye on creeped about 2 points.

I won’t be bummed if I don’t draw since I wouldn’t mind using that 2 weeks of PTO I usually have to burn for out west hunting trips on hunting locally or in the Ozarks which I can drive to in 5 hours.

Yeah, looks like if you have a draw tag for Barbary it's valid in the OTC areas now as well.
The draw tag has always been valid for statewide OTC area.

I'm assuming by shortening the hunts they in turn increased the number of hunts, in turn increasing the number of tags.

The draw tag has always been valid for statewide OTC area.

I'm assuming by shortening the hunts they in turn increased the number of hunts, in turn increasing the number of tags.
Thanks for the clarification, thought that was new.

And the second part makes sense, also can help space out hunters/pressure probably making the hunt more enjoyable for all.

Yep sure can, I believe it costs $360 for NR. And I believe they opened up the regulations a bit more statewide, being some have been spotted in NW corner of the state in the past, but mainly concentrated in Unit 34 for OTC opportunities.

Yeah, looks like if you have a draw tag for Barbary it's valid in the OTC areas now as well.
I believe the short season is a two year old change. Prior to that they rolled over into an OTC tag following the close of the season. That was actually a better deal because you could hunt the rut, and hunt the whole tag, then hunt OTC the entire next year if you didn’t fill your draw tag. Now your OTC tag starts on the first day of the license year, even if your drawn hunt doesn’t start until the end of the license year.

I believe the short season is a two year old change. Prior to that they rolled over into an OTC tag following the close of the season. That was actually a better deal because you could hunt the rut, and hunt the whole tag, then hunt OTC the entire next year if you didn’t fill your draw tag. Now your OTC tag starts on the first day of the license year, even if your drawn hunt doesn’t start until the end of the license year.
I was drawn for McGregor Range this year, I was unsuccessful on the hunt (had some at 575 yards but thought I could get to closer ridge, got there and they were gonzo). Now I have until March 31st to fill it. I believe they are opening up more areas "Statewide" except for the draw units this upcoming April which is nice also.

I was drawn for McGregor Range this year, I was unsuccessful on the hunt (had some at 575 yards but thought I could get to closer ridge, got there and they were gonzo). Now I have until March 31st to fill it. I believe they are opening up more areas "Statewide" except for the draw units this upcoming April which is nice also.
The statewide tag was everywhere except draw units. In the past, you could hunt your draw tag, and if you didn’t fill it, you got the following 365 days to fill it anywhere in the state except for draw units. Now you get 365 days statewide, but they are the license year that your draw hunt takes place. You may only have a few months “statewide” after your drawn hunt depending on when your drawn hunt occurs. You could of course hunt statewide before your drawn hunt, but you’re not terribly likely to do so based on the assumption that the draw areas are better.

Ok. So I'm a bit dense of these things as I'm new to the issue of tags etc. Once you've entered the draw, what determines where you'll hunt? Does the awarded tag have an area designation? Or is that another draw one must enter?

Ok. So I'm a bit dense of these things as I'm new to the issue of tags etc. Once you've entered the draw, what determines where you'll hunt? Does the awarded tag have an area designation? Or is that another draw one must enter?
When you apply you apply for a specific species, unit, and season if drawn your tag is only good for that species during that season in that unit. The unit will have specific geographic boundaries you should be able to quickly find a map showing the units on the state's game and fish website or even just a Google search.

You put in the draw for the tags that you want to hunt certain hunt dates and certain areas for certain species. There's a hunt code for each hunt in the proclamation

Elk/Antelope/Deer/Javi/Oryx. I think I'm done with the elk unit I've been hunting, I drew it twice and been blow'ed out by outfitters both times. I'm going to aim a little higher this year and see what happens. Unit is loaded with deer though, so it's still country I would go back to.

Otherwise I always draw javelina and one of these days I'm gonna get one of those little jerks. I just want one! Went out last weekend and saw tracks everywhere, found a strand of hair in some barbwire and then nothing. Caught a wiff of something musky/sweet but still never laid eyes on one. Try again later this month and maybe get lucky.

Good luck guys

Back