Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NM draw is open.

Elk, deer, antelope, RMBS, turkey and bear as usual. Thinking of adding Barbery sheep to the list this year. I'll be anxiously awaiting my refund.

I look forward to not drawing antelope for the 15th consecutive year. I'll play the odds on deer/elk and throw in some high(er) chance 3rd choices so we'll see what lady luck has to say this year. Hopefully I didn't burn all my luck last year.

I bought a few NM lottery tickets. First year applying for western big game. Felt good putting the last three months of research and YouTube watching to use. Elk, pronghorn, and Barbery. Might add Orxy. Adjusted my strategy some based on tags available. I figure 25 or more tags are needed to open up an unguided NR. One of my first choices only showed 15 tags.

I bought a few NM lottery tickets. First year applying for western big game. Felt good putting the last three months of research and YouTube watching to use. Elk, pronghorn, and Barbery. Might add Orxy. Adjusted my strategy some based on tags available. I figure 25 or more tags are needed to open up an unguided NR. One of my first choices only showed 15 tags.
I think technically it is 13 needed for one NR unguided tag to be available, according to NM regs. I play it safe and aim for 20-25 or more.

I didn't even draw javelina as a resident last year. Went 0 out of 15 tags between me and my boys. Not all glory tags either, some real bottom shelf options in there.

0-3 on javelina! I really don't think it's a difficult tag to draw.
It wasn’t back when I applied for it! I’ve been considering bailing on NM this year now that my historically 100% draw deer tag is below 20%. It wasn’t even a good hunt! It was just something to put as a third choice so I knew my year’s deer hunt dates as soon as I applied!

Last edited:
It wasn’t back when u applied for it! I’ve been considering bailing on NM this year now that my historically 100% draw deer tag is below 20%. It wasn’t even a good hunt! It was just something to put as a third choice so I knew my year’s deer hunt dates as soon as I applied!
I can guarantee at least one javelina tag in Arizona with my points there. That's a long way for me to go for just one 50 lb critter though.

I'm trying to get a NM javelina tag then combo it with an AZ tag or two for a couple weeks worth of javelina-chasin'. Maybe this will be the year ( or technically next year I suppose).

I can guarantee at least one javelina tag in Arizona with my points there. That's a long way for me to go for just one 50 lb critter though.

I'm trying to get a NM javelina tag then combo it with an AZ tag or two for a couple weeks worth of javelina-chasin'. Maybe this will be the year ( or technically next year I suppose).
Best of luck!

Reactions: LCH
i will by applying but for high demand/low odds units. its just a lottery ticket at this point. but if i get lucky and draw, i'll be happy to give up any hunts in home state of CO to go on a quality NM hunt.
what are the chances of drawing 2 tags with 0.1% odds :)

i will by applying but for high demand/low odds units. its just a lottery ticket at this point. but if i get lucky and draw, i'll be happy to give up any hunts in home state of CO to go on a quality NM hunt.
what are the chances of drawing 2 tags with 0.1% odds :)
The chance of drawing both tags at 1/1000 odds(also called .1%) is 1/1,000,000(also called .0001%).

The chance of drawing one of the two is .1999%. You could round that to 1/500. By applying for two .1% hunts you’ve doubled your still terrible odds.

The chance of drawing neither tag is 99.8001% or 998,001/1,000,000.

The chance of drawing both tags at 1/1000 odds(also called .1%) is 1/1,000,000(also called .0001%).

The chance of drawing one of the two is .1999%. You could round that to 1/500. By applying for two .1% hunts you’ve doubled your still terrible odds.

The chance of drawing neither tag is 99.8001% or 998,001/1,000,000.
1674669433198.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back