Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nm area 15 elk muzzy

spikebuck1

Hey guys,was lucky enough to draw bull tag for third muzzy season.Nov 18.area 15.I'm new to elk hunting,I'm a public land deer hunter from Illinois. I know don't laugh lol!My nephew is retired military that is a resident but has only hunted a few times.Does anyone have any insight into this area?I'm looking at maps and Google earth but its kinda overwhelming.I'm not asking for anyone's hot spot.maybe just some thoughts of where to start scouting / glassing when we get there,terrain wise.any help is greatly appreciated..thanks

It's really hard to want to help somebody who found out they drew a tag in about April and has waited until now to register on a forum where there's a lot of expertise and a bunch of helpful people and have their first post on said forum asking for information on where to find elk in one of the best elk units in the country.

Having said that, it's a great unit in some beautiful country, and you should be able to find a bull with a little bit of diligence. Look at Randy's youtube video on scouting for elk via google earth. He uses unit 16A as an example. That's not too far away. Similar habitat, elevation, etc. Similar time of year. Same principles apply.
Consider signing up for University of Elk Hunting. You'll get the experts' thoughts on where to start scouting, etc. without the backlash. Consider getting OnX maps or using another resource to figure out where burns are if there have been any recent ones in the area and to keep you out of trouble with respect to private land.

I find this layer useful to find and mark water sources in google earth:
http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx

Best of luck to you!

It's really hard to want to help somebody who found out they drew a tag in about April and has waited until now to register on a forum where there's a lot of expertise and a bunch of helpful people and have their first post on said forum asking for information on where to find elk in one of the best elk units in the country.

Having said that, it's a great unit in some beautiful country, and you should be able to find a bull with a little bit of diligence. Look at Randy's youtube video on scouting for elk via google earth. He uses unit 16A as an example. That's not too far away. Similar habitat, elevation, etc. Similar time of year. Same principles apply.
Consider signing up for University of Elk Hunting. You'll get the experts' thoughts on where to start scouting, etc. without the backlash. Consider getting OnX maps or using another resource to figure out where burns are if there have been any recent ones in the area and to keep you out of trouble with respect to private land.

I find this layer useful to find and mark water sources in google earth:
http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx
luck to you!
Archer, didnt mean to come across as a johnny come lately. but Fyi ,Been reading the forum nightly for years.Read most posts multiple times.Been watching randys show since hes been on .Most episodes mutiple times to learn what i can.Didnt Know i had to post my credentials on this site before posting. Im self employed with kids in sports so time is limited ,plus not a big poster anyway. Thought this site was for do it yourselfers to ask ?... get pointed in rite direction.Guess not with out being ridiculed.. By the Pros..That being said thanks for your input.Hope you have a safe and successful season

Rut will be long over. Look for rugged canyon country where a mature bull may try to hole up away from hunters. Always consider how far you will realistically be able to pack the elk out.

Rut will be long over. Look for rugged canyon country where a mature bull may try to hole up away from hunters. Always consider how far you will realistically be able to pack the elk out.

and then take 25% off that

and then take 25% off that

Thanks guys ,while this may be a dumb question ,but as a beginner elk hunter ,and using onix ,google maps to look for glassing spots over canyons.Do i want sun at my back while glassing if possible and I know wind in my face or cross. Or am I over thinking it because of distance elk could possibly be. Locating possible glassing spots is sure tough from a map....Ive read numerous posts but as veteran hunters what do you guys look for for glassing location? Thanks in advance.

At your back if possible.
But they will probably be bedding on the north or east slopes out of the sun,so you gotta look towards the sun @ times to find them. But I have spotted them under a tree or rock on the sunny side...lol.
Was just in 15 again last week and saw 3 great bulls mid day about a mile at most from roads..actually a big 5x5 & 3 cows crossed the road in front of me 1/4 mi from a campground full of people,mid day.
I was scouting for firewood. Looking for easy downed wood & seeing what is what. Talked to several guys looking for elk passing on narrow roads.
Went 1 mi in on a spur road to a dirt tank full of water. South side,low grass,PJ country. Maybe 4 mi from the paved hwy. Turning around at the tank I looked above the wallowed water & walking along the low ridge was a huge 5x5.10:30 am.It was 75 degrees.No one had driven in that road since the last rain to look.

Make sure you know how to use a gps.Go in a mile or 2 off any trails and just look for places people won't go.Then make sure there's food and water close by and chances are good you'll find an elk or 2
Good luck.I wish I had your luck in the draws

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back