MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NH Moose Results

I am the last guy shown on that list! Zone C2(ES). :)

Took me 14 years and still had to beat 1% draw odds. Great timing as I've drawn nothing out west so far. C2 was my 4th choice of 19 I listed. Supposed to be one of the best zones. Stste record was shot in the adjoining unit last year.

Now I need to hope I fail to draw Oregon Mt. Emily elk tag. Not interested in that much travel!

Last edited:
Failed in the rest of the lotteries including Mt. Emily, so my season is set. New Hampshire in October, Iowa archery deer in November.

Crazy thing is I located a guy on Bowsite that has hunted NH zone C2 twice, and he lives in the same town as me! St. Charles, Illinois. Dropped by and saw his moose today, and he even borrowed me his unit topo maps. Go figure.

Update: Just complete one week of scouting and have all my spots identified for opening day. Bushwhacking timber cuts is some brutal business! I bet half the tag holders road hunt. Saw over half the bulls so far just driving around. But put in a ton of miles locating some remote cuts. Now just a matter of who else shows up.

Good luck Zim
Been out in woods alot and seems cows are coming in heat heavy this week. Calling should be very good. My advice is find a good spot and get there EARLY. You are right on the road hunter part though.

I head 2 cows calling from a long distance. And I had 3 bulls chasing cows up close by me. Bad thing was all three were immature bulls. Not a good sign. Where I have elk & deer hunted the dinks are not tailing during prime rut, the big boys are. I suspect the mature bull population is low. I have a wedding in Indy this weekend, fly back out to Manchester Sunday 11 AM, drive back up to start my hunt Sunday 2 PM. Really sucks missing the first 2 mornings. Horrible timing for this wedding. :( The bulls will have heard a ton of calling before I even get a chance.

I wouldn't worry too much Zim. Alot of people will shoot the first thing they see. Also the weather may help,rain opening day. With the few permits issued this year there will be alot less competition also. If you put your time in I am sure you'll be fine. I would focus on glassing cuts, calling works some years, not so much others. Season is week later this year so I would plan on wearing out the boots.
Not sure what your goals are but I set mine at 50" both times I got lucky. Plus you have a much better zone.I think 50 is a respectable bull and pretty attainable, much more than that you also need some luck. You need to realize they have been hunted pretty hard the last ten years and the trophy bulls are getting harder to find each year. The bigger bulls I have seen lately are farther south in areas where there has been alot fewer permits given. Anyway best of luck, hope you do find what you are looking for.

When i was living near lake sunapee nh, i had 3 bulls on the property, moose season was not yet available then, that was in 99

Forgot to post photos in this thread. I scored on October 27th. 53 1/4" wide, 780#.

Attachments

• DSCN1621.JPG
    DSCN1621.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN1612.JPG
    DSCN1612.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 217
  • hunting_134 - 97K.JPG
    hunting_134 - 97K.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 207
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts