Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

NEWBIES Hunt

OzzyDave

Our archery club is seeing an increase in people wanting to hunt BUT have never done it, so a plan was made. We recently took 3 new hunters for a few days away bowhunting fallow deer and goats - both introduced and classed as feral here in Oz.
Now its winter here in Southern part of world and it does get bloody cold, so first advice to new hunters was to be sure you have good cold weather clothing AND good boots. The guys got the full experience. We arrived during a winter rain event, which was predicted to clear in a day or so. A quick set up and stoy some gear and the guys were ready to go.
My set up. The 270 degree awning stood up well to the high winds and rain.
image2.jpeg
The morning frosts were frequent and heavy.
image3.jpeg

We spent the next few days trudging around the hills, passing on our experiences and allowing the new guys to develope their bushcraft and stalking skills. 2 Important lessons learnt on day one - pack your wet weather gear when rain is predicted and make sure your foot wear is up the job. One guys boots disintergrated - the sole completely seperated. We spent the next few days taping his "disco boots" back together.
Disco Boots
IMG_1668.jpg
The ridge across from camp frequently had goats and deer holding in the morning sun.
IMG_1651.jpg

I counted 23 deer in this pic. I was 45 yards off 4 of them just enjoying the morning.
IMG_1645.jpg

All the new guys took game and filled coolers with meat and aid they learnt plenty. To add to the "adventure" we were stuck for an extra 2 days. The river we crossed coming in, had significantly risen over the last couple of days. At one point, it was 6ft above our exit bridge. Ahh well more hunting - the guys took it in their stride.
There's a bridge under there somewhere
image4.jpeg

A goat ribs afternoon snack being prepped - olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes MAGNIFICENT.
IMG_1652.jpg

I'm glad we got out when we did - snow was predicted the next couple of days. YES it does snow in Australia AND we were only 5 hours drive south of Brisbane.

Sounds like a great adventure and hunt! Do you think the newbies are hooked now or was it a bit too much too fast? Either way, good on you for helping them get started.

Hunting in AUS is way high on my list. I'd really like to shoot a sambar.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great adventure and hunt! Do you think the newbies are hooked now or was it a bit too much too fast? Either way, good on you for helping them get started.
Yeh mate they are hooked big time. One of the guys was very concerned about not making a clean, humane kill. He was hunting with a recurve, and watching him practice, he was very accurate to 20yards. I just told him if the shot doesn't feel right don't take it and he would know that feeling when the time came. He took a lovely size meat goat at 15 yards with a clean pass through. It went 6 feet and was done. We were all rapt for him.
It was an extremely rewarding weekend and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Haven't posted for a while.
Did a quick hog hunt on a new property in the north - half million + acres to cover. Managed a couple of chunky little boars. Wasn't quiet hot enough to get them cosistently coming to water - a balmy 36-38 Celsius (96-100 f). Had one warm day that was 43celcius (109 f)

Chunky little boar
Image(6).jpeg

Plenty of these little things to spoil a stalk. Agile wallabies very common in this area
Image(4).jpeg

Haven't posted for a while.
Did a quick hog hunt on a new property in the north - half million + acres to cover. Managed a couple of chunky little boars. Wasn't quiet hot enough to get them cosistently coming to water - a balmy 36-38 Celsius (96-100 f). Had one warm day that was 43celcius (109 f)

Chunky little boar
View attachment 245414

Plenty of these little things to spoil a stalk. Agile wallabies very common in this area
View attachment 245415
Super cool to see how you guys get it done over there. Thanks for posting.

Do the arrows penetrate the shield well?
Txks for post
I'm shooting 70lb and 500gn arrow. 9 times from 10 its a complete pass through.
One morning, l had to walk back to car and reload on arrows - 5 arrows and 5 pigs. Walked back in and whacked another one.
Don't know if you guys see this over there. Many of the hogs we killed were gone in a couple of days - eaten by their own. Nothing but a fat stain on the ground.

These little guys were safe from us.
Image(8).jpeg

Its still dry season in this area - hunting the water is key to success
Image(9).jpeg

The storms were brewing but didn't come our way. It certainly gave us a welcome break to the heat. We discovered a couple of days later, it dumped a couple of inches on part of the property 20 miles from us. We never did get to this section.
3300 mile round trip from home in 10 days - we did just over 750 miles on the station.
Image(7).jpeg

You give one a neck scratch and they all line up for some attention. :LOL: Some of the station horses at a water point - note how dry and bare the paddock is
Image(11).jpeg

Small town we stopped on return trip has "pimped" fheir wheat silos
Image(10).jpeg

Hunting in AUS is way high on my list. I'd really like to shoot a sambar.
Come sooner rather than later. Sambar populations are good but the govt just announced $19 million to cull deer in Victoria over the next 4 years. We still are required to pay our annual licence all the while though of course.

Come sooner rather than later. Sambar populations are good but the govt just announced $19 million to cull deer in Victoria over the next 4 years. We still are required to pay our annual licence all the while though of course.
Yes well someone has to pay for the helicopter. Not to mention the road tolls, took me an hour n a half to get thru the concrete jungle returning back from Ballarat to gippsland yesterday after picking up the rifle. You can send a rifle here via courier but no ammo allowed, hence the long trip. 300 wsm ammo is scarce as, as is 22 hornet unless you're willing to pay 135 bucks for fifty. See a quick note posted, western aust is going to buy back, God knows what you'll be able to keep if anything.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back