Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Newbie Q: re: E-Scouting

thatsjet

I just finished watching @Big Fin's YouTube series on E-scouting and went to apply some of that knowledge to the unit I plan to hunt for elk this year and well... lots of the ideas don't seem like they'll pan out.

Here's the unit: https://huntsmarter.app.link/d5hlteHcl7 <-- (Doesn't work due to bug. I'll update once I have one that does).

Here's what I see:
- No wildfire data for that area even though we've had some in the last few years for sure
- No marked timber cuts even though the whole area has tons of clearcuts
- Tons of trails through there means no "roadless" areas to speak of (a few very dark purple spots with that layer on, but almost invisible)
- A pretty huge area to cover with almost all of the area looking very similar (clear cuts and edges galore)

So my Q: is this... Where do I start? I have one waypoint from a friend where he heard bugling last year so I will definitely include that in my list. But, with an area that large that has very similar terrain and opportunity what is a good strategy for narrowing down places to hunt? The good news is it's about 2 hours from my home so I can get out there to scout over the summer. Bad news is it's going to be general season (archery) so the entire coast range will be open and will be crawling with rednecks. I definitely want to create a strategy that capitalizes on that, but wow... lots of noise on the signal for this area.

Last edited:
I'd say at this point you start with some boots on the ground, e scouting will only give you ideas of places to look, it's never exactly what you think once you get there, just got to get out there and cover some ground.

Does Google Earth have satellite images more recent than the burns? Than the clearcuts were created?
Yes, Google Earth has better imagery. I'm having a problem with @onX Hunt right now where it's not giving me lat/long so I'm having a hard time lining up on what I'm looking at in OnX, but yes. (I have a ticket open with them).

One strategy I was thinking of is to try to figure out where the most likely roads and trails will be that others will use and then where sanctuary is adjacent to that and be there ahead of opening day. Basically take advantage of the pressure.

When I click your unit link it shows me Montana, but your statement about the coast range made me think you were looking at Oregon. Who manages the land you're looking at hunting? State, Forest Service, BLM?

My guess is that the state hasn't provided updated GIS data for fires and timber harvest, so not available to onX. You could try to contact them directly to find out about most recent work.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back