Newbie needs help.....Trying to find a Mule Deer hunt for party of 6

corvettedad

Ok guys, finally got enough to post...lol...I wish I had found these forums a couple years ago..!!!!..So here we go, I am charged with trying to find a decent Mule deer hunt for a party of 6, with 4 of the party being in their 70's...Me and 2 other of the guys have had the misfortune of dealing a with terrible land owner and guide...last season and the season before .I really need help with this, Ideally keep the hunt around the $4,000.00 per gun and lodging would be great but not a deal breaker. I know this is a lot to ask but dealing with the draw system, preference points and last years winter kill off is almost overwhelming. Any help would be So greatly appreciated...!!!...Thanks, Randy

That seems like a really big ask for a low budget. Big enough area permitted to hold 6 mature mule deer bucks, lodging, food, guide, all for 4K each? Oh and over 70 and mobility impaired. I am guessing no one has a piggy bank of points. So a zero point unit?

If you find a guide that has openings for 2024 and can accommodate that you are going to be way over 4K each.

In that arena you get what you pay for. This is almost mission impossible. Anyone who says yes I would be highly suspicious of.

I second addicting.You get what you pay for, 4,000 sounds on the low side for a guided hunt and you are going to blow 4 grand on another terrible experience. Save up and pay for a better hunt or you could just go DIY. Find a unit with easy terrain, and easy to get tags and go for it. Just don't expect to all tag out or take home any trophy deer.

Last edited:
I second addicting.You get what you pay for, 4,000 sounds on the low side for a guided hunt and you are going to blow 4 grand on another terrible experience. Save up and pay for a better hunt.
If it was whitetail it may be possible in Texas. For mule deer with the die off, maybe Mexico. But I bet he is almost double that budget for that kind of hunt.

1 person on a cancellation hunt could happen but when you make it 6 the amount of acres needed is humongous. A private land owner with that kind of acreage could care less about 4 grand. That’s what they spend on their jet fuel to go for lunch.

If it was whitetail it may be possible in Texas. For mule deer with the die off, maybe Mexico. But I bet he is almost double that budget for that kind of hunt.

1 person on a cancellation hunt could happen but when you make it 6 the amount of acres needed is humongous. A private land owner with that kind of acreage could care less about 4 grand. That’s what they spend on their jet fuel to go for lunch.
I think a Mexico mule deer hunt is going to be at least triple the budget for a good hunt.
I with that was the case for a large private land owner, I know several that are making less than 50 k a year. I do agree though that finding a landowner that can accommodate 6 hunters on short notice for 4 grand each is going to be next to impossible. Maybe the strategy should be buy lottery tickets and go hunting when you win. Odds might be better.

Good luck, I do like to hear about old timers, I’m only 68, still out hunting. Maybe Alberta or Saskatchewan.

One suggestion, depending where you live, is the outdoor expo shows o er the winter. Find a big one, such as Harrisburg PA, do research before, the go booth to booth in the outfitter section talking

Also look into booking services, they have lots of access to outfitters.

Well Guys I do appreciate all the info.....By the way we are in Alabama and White tail is something we do very well....lol....guess I will keep looking and talking....I did mention that this is for the 2024 season and the guide is not a deal breaker and wouldn't expect 1 on 1 either.....Any thoughts on a private rancher with a DIY hunt....?

Well Guys I do appreciate all the info.....By the way we are in Alabama and White tail is something we do very well....lol....guess I will keep looking and talking....I did mention that this is for the 2024 season and the guide is not a deal breaker and wouldn't expect 1 on 1 either.....Any thoughts on a private rancher with a DIY hunt....?
You could DIY a large enough place for 4K a gun to probably have a decent hunt. I would look in NM for places selling vouchers. Although 6 on the same place is a tough sell.

The sad truth is in the current (and foreseeable future) market your budget is about half what you'd need to even be close to a decent chance at accomplishing your goals. Have you guys considered Pronghorn? Would definitely be much more doable with your time constraints and budget.

Good luck, I do like to hear about old timers, I’m only 68, still out hunting. Maybe Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Don’t think you could fine one for 4K a gun anymore. I wanted to go with my dad a few years ago and cheapest we could find was 5k and we ended up not being able to to anyways.
Now I’d imagine it’s even more.

There was an outfit I don’t remember the name at the moment that had a few utah vouchers it would be more diy but had private land access and place to stay. Might look into somthing like that. But with the 4K budget I think you either get a decent voucher and nothing else or a mediocre voucher and maybe some land and a place to stay. But I have no real world experience with it just what I have found researching this last year for ideas on a group of 4 of us.

The sad truth is in the current (and foreseeable future) market your budget is about half what you'd need to even be close to a decent chance at accomplishing your goals.

My thoughts exactly.

"decent Mule deer hunt"

This is a huge variable in the equation.

I know of an outfitter in your price range, with private land to hunt, and 100% opportunity.
But it's a buck hunt, meaning if it has horns . . . you shoot it. So lots of young 3 points.
And it's a 2 day hunt.

I have also hunted with an outfit that is around twice your budget that kill, what I consider, really nice bucks every year.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it seems the cost of quality hunting experiences are still going up each year.

Not mule deer, but my crew had a great time at Spartan Hunting Preserve in Tennessee. We got a couple of Fallow bucks. They have a no kill no pay policy. All lodging and 3 meals a day included in the price of the animal. Check them out

Dang, that’s not far at all from my house and I didn’t even know that a high fence exotic game farm even existed this side of Crossville

Yep. Here's a $1200 animal shot end of August. The guy behind it will be 71 day after tomorrow. My third gemsbuck.
View attachment 295307
Impala can be had for $500, sometimes less.
View attachment 295308
HBD.. I think for 4K figure in you have transportation costs getting to your mule deer hunt anyway, you could certainly make a valid case to look at Africa. I’ll go again thats for certain.

Awesome....I am really enjoying these forums...Thank you for all the responses...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back