New Zealand Hunt video for a Brit (not me!)

WOW! I am exhausted simply watching the first of the two... What a hunt!
The comment he made about "Americans" placing the animal 4' in front of them for pictures - seems to match many photos here! Haha!

I really enjoyed these 2 videos, very amusing guide showing a Brit around.
But i look at these films and think, now how can i do a self guided trip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qurutZIYiOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVPT-8yNZs
Cheers
Richard

That guy is quite 'interesting' to say the least.

As for self guided, i would have to say NZ is about the simplest country to do an international self guided hunt in, the hunting isn't easy, you have to work hard, but it is a great place for an adventure with good keen mates.

I really don't understand why more guys don't get together and go over and hunt self guided, especially for the alpine species, chamois and tahr.

As for self guided, i would have to say NZ is about the simplest country to do an international self guided hunt in, the hunting isn't easy, you have to work hard, but it is a great place for an adventure with good keen mates.

I really don't understand why more guys don't get together and go over and hunt self guided, especially for the alpine species, chamois and tahr.

I've hunted there DIY in 2011, 2012, 2013, and I will be going again this May. I found out about it when my teenage daughter showed me a photo in a magazine of a red deer and she said "dad look at the size of this tule elk" I told her it was a red deer and she says " where can you hunt those ? I said NZ, but it cost a fortune. She says " don't they have public land to hunt them ? ...I don't know.....hmmmmm.....and so my searching turned up what I thought was too good to be true.

I've hunted there DIY in 2011, 2012, 2013, and I will be going again this May. I found out about it when my teenage daughter showed me a photo in a magazine of a red deer and she said "dad look at the size of this tule elk" I told her it was a red deer and she says " where can you hunt those ? I said NZ, but it cost a fortune. She says " don't they have public land to hunt them ? ...I don't know.....hmmmmm.....and so my searching turned up what I thought was too good to be true.

Great to see you have been exploring and seeking adventure over there. How good are the red stags you have been shooting? They are a LOT harder to obtain in the wild on public land self guided then what the average overseas hunter thinks.

I sent some american mates hunting self guided up the East Coast, one of them encountered a red stag in the bush as he was climbing to reach some bull tahr, he heard a stag roar and it walked past him at close range, apparently was a 5x5 or a 6x6 and he passed on it telling his mates if he was going to shoot a red stag in nz he wanted it to look like a red stag, not like a rag horn elk...little did he realise that it would have been an excellent free range trophy of a lot more value and appreciation to him then any monster game ranch/estate stag would have.

Needless to say i believe he didn't see another red stag and possibly later on realised he might have done better to educate himself a little more on what true free range animals look like in nz rather then the velvet farm monsters that get grown and cut for 6-8 years before being realised into pens for safari hunters to shoot.

Great to see you have been exploring and seeking adventure over there. How good are the red stags you have been shooting? They are a LOT harder to obtain in the wild on public land self guided then what the average overseas hunter thinks.

So far I have only done alpine hunting and waterfowl. Obviously if I see a red deer that is respectable ( kiwi standards ) I'm going to take it. So far I have only seen a spike. I'm doing the alpine hunts first while I still can ( I'm 52 with bad knees ) later I'll hunt the roar.

What do you want to know?

Heaps of public land and no tags. Pick a species, get very fit and off you go :)
Get fit, just like the preparation for a Montana hunt then.
I do have a couple of contacts down there, but if i ever go i will have someone in tow that would slow me down, the wife!
I better hurry up though, 55 this year.
Cheers
Richard

jeez richard im gonna be 66 this year but feel like ive go another 30 more to go(fingers crossed)
look me up and we will slay a couple or three

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back