New Wyoming raffles

IMHO it's pretty simple to now see that what we have suspected for some time about WYSFW is true. Last year they pushed that Bison tag through the Legislature and then got the proceeds from that, which may still not have been accounted for. Now they rammed through this Super Tag raffle through with the backing of a couple skanky Legislators they have in their pocket. Anyone good at reading between the lines should see that Smokestick has basicly admitted that they will back landowner transferrable tags if/when it comes up again and they already have been in favor of helping the Outfitters who IMHO don't need help or subsidies because if they can't make it on their own then they should fail. They're moving along in "Utah mode" even though Smokestick continues to say that Utah has no influence over WY. This WYSFW train will not be derailed unless sportspersons stop it and it appears as though even people within the organization are finally starting to wise up and smell the coffee.. The Basin Chapter has pulled out and disaffliated to start their own good group when they continued to ask for accountability of all the money they were pouring into the WYSFW and got no response. It appears through the grapevine that several other chapters are now getting ready to follow suit and if they do it would appear that it may just be the death of SFW in Wyoming. That would sure break a lot of hearts---NOT!!!

Any program that has SFW fingers in it...............I won't be participating in. They all involve stealing tags that could have otherwise been in the regular lotteries.

That's why you won't find them in states without abundant trophy tags available to tap into. They are not interested in WORKING to improve game quality............just converting public tags to auction............with their percentage cut of course.

Why aren't there chapters in Oregon, Washington & California? Follow the money.

Seems rather dubious to hold a raffle that charges the same entry fee to everyone,yet awards prizes on a sliding scale based upon residence.

Seems rather dubious to hold a raffle that charges the same entry fee to everyone,yet awards prizes on a sliding scale based upon residence.

Spook, 10 bucks for a voucher if you win) ain't bad. Res or Non. Blame it on 'johnie fat wallet'. He pays 300K and gets a free tag...outrageous.;)

When was the last time a Wyoming commissioner or governors tag sold for 300k? Hell, when was the last time all 5 Wyoming Governors sheep tags sold for a combined value of 300K?

Also, they arent getting a "free" tag...the Tax Payers of Wyoming are subsidizing the NR tag fee in the case of Commissioners and Governors tags (payable to the WYG&F.). Also, the only portion of the commissioners tags that the G&F sees in funding IS the NR tag fee associated with the elk, deer, or pronghorn (again paid from the General Fund). All the money raised goes to the groups that the commissioners give their tags to (56 total tags...about 5-6 of which are given to groups with ZERO to do with anything wildlife related).

That is outrageous, when the raffle winners are expected to pay the full license fees.

I find it pretty ridiculous to subsidize a NR tag fee associated with a person that can pay 5-57K for a tag...but then turn around and expect a guy applying for a $10 raffle to pony up $2400 for his tag...

I guess wise cracks are more abundant than facts...

Last edited:
I thought you said they sell for 300K each???

But, hey, what would I know about the Governors Tags, I only sit on the committee that decides which groups get to sell the Governors tags and how the money from them is spent.

As is animus and class envy.

Wow, class envy? Thats your response?

You honestly think thats what this is about? Shallow, very shallow.

I have no problem with all raffle tags, governors tags, and commissioners tag fees coming from the general fund and paid directly to the game and fish.

What I have trouble with is the double standard...and the fact that it would make a lot more sense to ONLY ask for general funds to cover the raffle rather than the Governors or Commissioners tags. Or, better yet, they should ALL be funded via an appropriation. I also dont like a raffle tag system that isnt going to maximize the profits that the State has the potential to recover.

That would be the best solution...that way the G&F would be funded the full value in tag fees from the 82 tags that Wyoming Hunters are allowing the state to give away, and you'd maximize the sale of raffle tickets as well.

Like I said, not many savvy a win-win...even when its intuitively obvious.

Last edited:
Also, the only portion of the commissioners tags that the G&F sees in funding IS the NR tag fee associated with the elk, deer, or pronghorn (again paid from the General Fund). All the money raised goes to the groups that the commissioners give their tags to (56 total tags...about 5-6 of which are given to groups with ZERO to do with anything wildlife related).

Funny, I was just looking at the list the other day. Interesting to see what wildlife in WY is supporting.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/commiss...95442396F4352792F57647174677A4B6430754B673D3D

Miller,

Yeah, thats the dirty little secret that many dont know about regarding the commissioners tags...that and 100% of the proceeds are kept by the groups selling the tags.

Thank goodness Gov. Freudenthal (D), was on top of the Governors tags...or that program would be no better.

Spook, 10 bucks for a voucher if you win) ain't bad. Res or Non. Blame it on 'johnie fat wallet'. He pays 300K and gets a free tag...outrageous.;)

Your point isn't lost on me.;)

Mine while poorly articulated was that a R stands to win the right to buy a tag that lets them basically hunt the whole State however they choose. That's not the case for the NR, there's what I consider some pretty strict restrictions on where that tag can be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back