New Wyoming raffles

Hmmm, even if you win you still have to buy the licenses(s). The win is for the opportunity to get a license without a draw or preference point loss. They don't want to give much away for a big haul. Never been too keen on seeing the government in the gambling rackets.

Thanks for the link.

I can't remember if it was done last year? If so, be good to get
a breakdown of number of tickets sold for each species to get a rough idea
of your chances of pulling a tag, no doubt pretty slim, but still a good
opportunity to roll the dice on drawing a tag.

I have mixed feelings on this one...an occasional raffle is ok IMO and it at least allows the little guy a chance to get a coveted tag (relative to an auction), but in Washington State the raffles continue to largely go to individuals who buy upwards of 75% of the total tickets for each raffle species. I just hate to see all of the best hunts basically set aside for the wealthy.

The money generated from raffles feeds the budget of these state agencies and they become reliant upon that revenue...and its not long before they are looking for ways to raffle more tags to make more money so we can better manage wildlife...at least for the guys that can buy the auction or raffle tags!

Thanks for the link.

I can't remember if it was done last year? If so, be good to get
a breakdown of number of tickets sold for each species to get a rough idea
of your chances of pulling a tag, no doubt pretty slim, but still a good
opportunity to roll the dice on drawing a tag.

***It won't start until the new year and the big problems are that people can buy more than one ticket, which allows those with lots of cash to have an unfair advantage by buying lots of tickets. The other thing that's been mentioned is that you still have to fork over the cash for the tag if you're the winner. That's a lot of money for a NR compared to the resident license fees.

Glad I saw this, didn't know you still had to buy the tag if you won the raffle. Will be one less person in the drawing now that I know that.

So what if you still have to buy the elk tag. Do you understand that you can hunt anywhere in the state? For someone like me who was not smart enough to get in on the ground floor of the point system, I could actually have a shot (albeit a slim one) at hunting elk in the Shirley Mountains or Red Desert.

So what if you still have to buy the elk tag. Do you understand that you can hunt anywhere in the state? For someone like me who was not smart enough to get in on the ground floor of the point system, I could actually have a shot (albeit a slim one) at hunting elk in the Shirley Mountains or Red Desert.

Not true for NR, there's till the wilderness law so you can't hunt anywhere in the state, unless they eliminated that for this raffle. I'm not sure how many trophy units are in wilderness areas but to me it's the principle of it all, I'm not going to pay 10 bux a ticket just to be able to buy a $600 tag. I'll just take my chances in the random drawing w/my $14 app fee. So I'll stick w/MT for my super tag to each their own if they want to get in on this drawing not hating anyone anyone that does, just doesn't seem right to charge for a raffle ticket that only provides you the opportunity to buy a regular tag if you win.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem right that a state that makes 10x in state revenue over DFG funding has to have the equivalent of a school bake sale to raise funds for wildlife.

Wildlife is WY's sustainable resource that if managed correctly will litter money all over the state supporting just about every community in WY.

Not true for NR, there's till the wilderness law so you can't hunt anywhere in the state, unless they eliminated that for this raffle. I'm not sure how many trophy units are in wilderness areas but to me it's the principle of it all, I'm not going to pay 10 bux a ticket just to be able to buy a $600 tag. I'll just take my chances in the random drawing w/my $14 app fee. So I'll stick w/MT for my super tag to each their own if they want to get in on this drawing not hating anyone anyone that does, just doesn't seem right to charge for a raffle ticket that only provides you the opportunity to buy a regular tag if you win.

Yes, you are correct about the wilderness restriction. That said, in my humble opinion I'd rather hunt elk in the middle of the state on BLM land any day than in the wilderness areas, even though I have friends in WY that I could probably bribe with a bottle of good whiskey.

Was there this much pizzing & moaning when other states like Idaho, etc., implemented their raffle draws. If so, I must've missed it. Glad to see a bunch of you guys are out as my odds of drawing with a raffle ticket appear to be improving...

Yes, there was...lots of debate in MT, ID, and AZ. Theres still debates regarding many of them now.

Sadly, there should have been more debate about it in Wyoming before this crap idea was pushed via WYSFW.

I testified against it, for the exact reason that many are complaining about now.

It seems to me that the "system" is ass-backwards in how we deal with Governors tags, Commissioners tags, and now raffle tags.

With the Govenors and Commissioners tags, the buyers of said tags DO NOT have to purchase their tags. The tag fees are paid directly to the WYG&F from an appropriation via the general fund...via the legislature. In other words, johnie fat-wallet is being subsidized the NR tag fee by the taxpayers of Wyoming.

On the other hand, the average guy that can purchase a few chances in a raffle...yeah, he's still expected to pay his own freight instead of having the Wyoming tax payers pay it for him/her.

This super raffle bill was a pile of chit when it was introduced, pile of chit when it passed, and still is a pile of chit. No shock considering that WYSFW was the brain trust behind it.

Sadly, the short-sided residents that are looking at this as another opportunity at a tag, werent smart enough, and involved enough, to look into the bill last session and see the problems with it.

The Legislature failed hunters...once again.

The more ironic part of the whole thing is that the Legislature made damn sure that they sent WYSFW's Governors tag bison bill back to the appropriations committee. Bob Wharff and the Legislature busted their arses getting that pushed through the appropriations committee. They knew damn well that the Bison Governors tags wouldnt be worthwhile if there was a tag fee of $2500 that the buyer would have to purchase.

Of course neither WYSFW or the Legislature care one bit about the guy with just enough money to apply for a couple raffle tickets.

Funny how that works?????

Another bad bill that never should have NEVER gotten out of committee, let alone passed.

Sad joke.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it didn't work out in yer favor. Glad to see it passed and I'm sure a bunch of us will be buying chances...

If you find no problem with Wyomings tax payers paying for NR tags for the guys buying Governors/commissioner tags, but NOT paying for the raffle tag winners...not much more to say.

Other than, you dont get it, like most other things involved with Wyomings wildlife...as usual.

Its all about you...always will be in your world.

Sad...and pathetic.

Oh, and its not about whether or not it worked out for ME, its about whether or not its going to work out for Wyoming Hunters, and more importantly, the WYG&F budget. Is the bill, as it is now, going to maximize profits? Not a chance, and thats apparent from the posts on this thread. Personally, I'm not one to leave a big pile of cash on the table if theres a better way to maximize the profit from the Supertag raffle(s). Thats the idea, if we give up our wildlife, we maximize that sacrifice.

It would have made wayyy too much sense, I suppose, for the Legislature to send this one to the appropriations committee to get general fund money for these tags too.

The last thing we need is for people to buy more chances in the raffle, AND for the Legislature to appropriate the tag fees for said raffle tags.

That would be a win-win-win for the WYG&F, Hunters, and those applying for the raffle chances...most just dont savvy that kind of logic.

Last edited:
I really couldn't care less about a raffle, but Nebraska did it for residents a couple years ago. The winner gets an elk, a deer, and an antelope and two years to burn the tags. It is a great gamble for $25. I only have applied once, but it does generate a good amount of money for Game and Parks with little expenditure and virtually no effect on the wildlife. Good move.

If you do not like the concept, then don't apply, but it is all money for cash-strapped wildlife agencies.

Then Wyomings plan is destined for failure...because they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

BuzzH---There's no sense discussing this or most anything else with 3BB because, as you stated, everything and the only thing he thinks about is him---ME ME ME!!!

It would be real nice if just for ONCE the powers-to-be would listen to hunter input before passing crap like that. A little common sense would help in the equation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back