New Traditions NitroFire muzzleloader

GlockZ

I guess Traditions teamed up with Federal and Hodgdon and came out with a rather interesting new muzzle loader. There is something called a fire stick that is a self contained plastic container that’s holds the powder charge and is inserted into the breech, thereby eliminating the breech plug, the sabot is loaded the traditional way, from the muzzle. While I’m not an expert on the regulations in different states concerning muzzle loaders. This does seem interesting. Wonder what the cost of those “fire sticks “ is. Can’t be cheap. Thoughts?

Don't see this lasting...uses proprietary powder system using powder specifically made for this 1 rifle. No numbers on the cost per "stick" so who know how much they'll cost. A Traditions rifle retailing for $499-699 seems a bit lofty.

What happens when Federal and Hodgdon decide to change their mind about producing these things when nobody buys these precharged sticks...don't get stuck with a rifle you can't use.

We've got a gunsmith that does this with 45-70 cases with smokeless powder. Then like was stated load a bullet through the muzzle. Interesting concept to say the least.

Saw it this morning. Not really interested myself. Don't like price and honestly doesn't seem much faster then I could load a preloaded charge anyway anyway. Open breech, insert tampon, close go back to end and stuff bullet. Think they think leaving one loaded over night is a problem.

Does seem to take one more thing away from muzzle loading. Of course I say that shooting a scoped inline and to make it worse I've been researching smokeless muzzys lately.

$26.95 for 10 firesticks I believe

So just off the top of my head, that’s around $3 a shot plus the sabot. Seems expensive. I’m hoping there’s some advantages to this new system.

Interesting idea,

Premeasured and sealed loose powder would be more versatile and have basically the same affect.

I never knew a breech plug was a problem

Colorado says it must be loaded from the muzzle. The powder is part of the load. I'm thinking they'll squack at this setup. I can remember they banned inlines when they first came out but then gave in from the pressure. They didn't like BH 209 at first either.

They think they have a primitive season. I kind of disagree but I bet they won't like this new system. They don't allow pellets and this is similar. They want loose powder.

I think rifles like this may cause more states to classify muzzle loader seasons as "primitive weapon" season because someone is always looking to push the intent of the law.

I'm curious how there isn't a gap between the sabot and the top of the charge? It looks like the fire stick is roll crimped, so even if the special sabot is flat there will still be a pocket. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I think their main angle with this is saying you can remove the charge when not in the field. You know, for "safety". Most people leave the load in their gun until fired or the season ends. If the gun is moved between warm and cold environments it can lead to condensation in the charge and a missfire. Happened to a friend one time. Load looked like a cat turd when he pushed it out. During season, when not hunting, my rifle stays in the garage or truck where it's always cold.

Won't be legal in every state, some require the charge and bullet to be loaded from the muzzle.

I also wonder with cleaning, they say its easier to clean, but if there is a shelf the bullet sits on, (no clue how big it is) seems that would be a area hard to clean?

Just got back from the GAOS, in Harrisburg,PA. Traditions had a booth there, and was able to speak to the guys. According to them, while it will not be legal in all states, for the majority of us it is. The system is self contained and completely waterproof. The new powder from Hodgdon that is being used in this setup is the equal to BH209 in every way. The new powder will be introduced in the near future in powder and pellet form and will be less expensive than BH209. The rifles will be shipping by the end of May, and since it's release, according to the gentleman I spoke with, there is a very positive feedback so far, as the orders are coming in. Just thought I'd update everyone. I'm sorry but I did forget to ask about the performance expectations, ( capable distance), however, I was told that it has great accuracy out to 200 yards, however, again I forgot to push the issue, mainly because most of my muzzle loader experience has been 75 yards or less.

Just got back from the GAOS, in Harrisburg,PA. Traditions had a booth there, and was able to speak to the guys. According to them, while it will not be legal in all states, for the majority of us it is. The system is self contained and completely waterproof. The new powder from Hodgdon that is being used in this setup is the equal to BH209 in every way. The new powder will be introduced in the near future in powder and pellet form and will be less expensive than BH209. The rifles will be shipping by the end of May, and since it's release, according to the gentleman I spoke with, there is a very positive feedback so far, as the orders are coming in. Just thought I'd update everyone. I'm sorry but I did forget to ask about the performance expectations, ( capable distance), however, I was told that it has great accuracy out to 200 yards, however, again I forgot to push the issue, mainly because most of my muzzle loader experience has been 75 yards or less.

Thanks for sharing. Interested in more info about the new powder from Hodgdon.

I might be old fashioned, but I think a muzzleloader should be primative. I love my CVA bobcat percussion rifle for muzzy seasons. I would love to see a late 'primative' season with percussion or flintlock rifles and trad bows. It wouldn't be a big harvest to consider, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Something doesn't sit right to me with a muzzy rifle that shoots 300 yards with a scope and bells and whistles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back