MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Traditions NitroFire muzzleloader

I might be old fashioned, but I think a muzzleloader should be primative. I love my CVA bobcat percussion rifle for muzzy seasons. I would love to see a late 'primative' season with percussion or flintlock rifles and trad bows. It wouldn't be a big harvest to consider, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Something doesn't sit right to me with a muzzy rifle that shoots 300 yards with a scope and bells and whistles.
I agree completely with you. Some of the modern technology is pretty cool, but I feel it takes away some of the fun as well. Being able to shoot 300 yards with a muzzle loader at a game animal isn't very sporting, and I do think the concept of using a traditional bow or flintlock/caplock is being lost in the shuffle. But at the same time, there are states where high powered rifle or straight walled cartridges are prohibited for use in hunting, so anything you can squeeze out of a shotgun slug or muzzle loader is appreciated.

But at the same time, there are states where high powered rifle or straight walled cartridges are prohibited for use in hunting, so anything you can squeeze out of a shotgun slug or muzzle loader is appreciated.
Totally agree, where safety is more the issue I see no reason against crossbows in archery season and scoped shotguns and rifles.

This is a stupid product, it’s only going to be legal in states that mentioned above only have muzzy seasons for safety, and let’s not kid ourselves here it’s barely a muzzleloader. At that point you should just use a shotgun with a rifles barrel and slugs.

Colorado says it must be loaded from the muzzle. The powder is part of the load. I'm thinking they'll squack at this setup. I can remember they banned inlines when they first came out but then gave in from the pressure. They didn't like BH 209 at first either.

They think they have a primitive season. I kind of disagree but I bet they won't like this new system. They don't allow pellets and this is similar. They want loose powder.
I’ve seen the BH209 but never used it and know nothing about it I was just curious as to why they disliked it?

FYI, Pennsylvania Game Commission Board of Commissioners voted against legalizing this type of muzzleloader at their meeting yesterday. It remains illegal to use in all muzzleloader season but legal in general firearms seasons.

My opinion is it should be illegal in muzzle season. I hunt muzzleloader season to escape the crowd. This is one more step away from what a smoke pole is Will bring more hoopla heads into woods and ruin the reason for the season.

To expand on Jt13. Pa.'s muzzy season in Oct. is open for in-line and primitive. After Christmas is a flintlock season. May be the only dedicated flinter season in the states...enlighten me if I'm mistaken.

I might be old fashioned, but I think a muzzleloader should be primative. I love my CVA bobcat percussion rifle for muzzy seasons. I would love to see a late 'primative' season with percussion or flintlock rifles and trad bows. It wouldn't be a big harvest to consider, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Something doesn't sit right to me with a muzzy rifle that shoots 300 yards with a scope and bells and whistles.
Primative and traditional.............YES

This (like the crossbow/vertical and inline/"traditional" arguments) literally comes down to one set of folks looking to get a special season (MUCH longer for archery and generally additional seasons for muzzys) to themselves because they think their choice of weapon and it's perceived difficulty somehow make them special. While there aren't the "I deserve the bigger bucks because I shoot a vertical bow" arguments as much with western hunting, it is still splitting hairs to me.

Now I say this with no skin in the game because I don't hunt with any type of either weapon. I like shooting rifles, know I will be limited to a much shorter season, and am ok with that. If folks would focus more on their own stuff instead worrying that somebody else somehow gets "advantage" things would be a lot more mellow and cooperative amongst hunters. Should there be separate seasons for magnum rifles or open sight only rifles? You can come up with unending variances to argue about.

I still remember the down right mean and crappy propaganda the vertical folks spewed in IN when crossbows were first proposed in archery season. Guess what the result has been in harvest numbers? Steady, no great changes. The only change has been some folks who had been forced to migrate to firearms or who had never been exposed to vertical switching over to the archery season with a CB.

Two things to me that I find interesting about this system. One, the charge is removable WITHOUT firing along with the ability to be sure about whether there is a charge in the weapon. Two, you still have to insert a primer into the charge. I don't see there being any real advantage/speed wise, especially versus pelletized pellets or folks using speed loaders.....just the moisture blocking.

We've got a gunsmith that does this with 45-70 cases with smokeless powder. Then like was stated load a bullet through the muzzle. Interesting concept to say the least.
Do you know the name of the gunsmith? I am in Va and am interested. Do you use a 45-70 conversion for muzzleloading?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back