New toy - Kimber 84M .308 Win

Looks like a great setup Randy! I'm sure it'll be an asset on your bear hunt. Good luck!

I'll trade you some December KS brush bucking for first right of refusal on that 300 RUM you don't need. :D

Did you rob my house?

I have one of those that I bought back in December. Then I bought that exact same scope a month or so back....maybe I need to check and see if they are still there.

One of these days I'll get some mounts and see how mine shoots.

Very nice!! Hope it's a shooter! If you loading for the .308, I'd give Breaks Runner a ring. He's got a small herd of .308, so I'm assuming he's worked out a few loads.

Randy; Theres nothing wrong or underrated with this caliber, I have taken a lot of my big game with is caliber. Including Bear,Elk and big horn sheep (desert). I would feel comfortable with it!!!!!!!

Today was the final test drive for this new toy, before heading to AK in the morning. Shooting Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip bullets and mounted a Luepold VX3 2-8X.

I think the entire rig is less than 7 pounds, and you know it, when you pull the trigger. It is amazing to see the difference in recoil with a rifle this light. Recoil is OK, but I don't think you want a rifle of this weight chambered in something too much more than this.

I think this weight and this caliber is a perfect mix for an all around western mountain rifle. It could make a 400 yard shot and kill any elk. For most shots, at most ranges, it will perform wonderfully. And the weight savings will make it one of the first rifles I reach for when I know long hikes or steep grades will be in order.

I will be making a request for a .257 Roberts and a 7MM-08 in this rifle. It is a lot of fun to shoot.

Started in the middle, then worked around the edges to each of the small targets. 100 yard range, sitting at a bench.

IMG_5061.JPG

Group 1 was with a clean barrel that probably had a little solvent or other residue from from cleaning prior to this group. Was not very impressive. Could easily have been operator error, but if so, I had better keep my shots to within 50 yards.

IMG_5070.JPG

Group 2 was a lot better. Was dealing with a 10-15mph wind, that varied from perfect crosswind to about 45 degrees at my left and rear. Tried to hold off and wait for calmer periods. This was a very big improvement. Moved left 6 clicks and readied for group 3.

IMG_5071.JPG

Group 3 was following another swab through the barrel. You can see the first shot was another big disappointment. The other two came right back to where I was hoping., but given the crosswind, I was probably too far left. After this group, moved back right 2 clicks.

IMG_5072.JPG

Group 4 was about as good as my talent can provide. This was with no swab or cleaning.

IMG_5068.JPG

Group 5 was so much better than I am able to consistently achieve, it was time to quit after this one. To try any harder would just disappoint my artificially inflated confidence.

IMG_5067.JPG

I will give a couple test shots when we get to camp, as the Samsonite Gorilla seems to pick my luggage on which to complete his morning gymnastics. After all this work and effort, I need to know that I will hit what I am aiming for.

I gave this rifle to Marc Sheppard at Altius Handrafted Firearms in West Yellowstone to mount the scope, bore sight, and set the trigger to 2.75 pounds. Marc is one of the best I have ever worked with. He is a biathlon coach, and takes great pride in doing some amazing work. He turned this project around in a few days, and did his usual great work. The trigger on this feels different as far as shape, but as far as smooth and crisp, it is excellent.

Hope I can perform as well as the rifle and ammo will.

Very nice!!! I'd like to add either an 84M or 84L to what I'm using now and then just get to work trying to wear them on on critters!!

That would be a fun one to play with sometime, much to be said for a setup that light for backpack style hunting.

Glad to see the Kimber shoot that well out of the box, since I think they are one of the most sensible off the shelf hunting rifles you can buy. You know as well as I do the shots with a wet bore don't count, that is pretty good shooting all things considered.

I think this weight and this caliber is a perfect mix for an all around western mountain rifle. It could make a 400 yard shot and kill any elk. For most shots, at most ranges, it will perform wonderfully.

Wow. Someone who actually understands that marksmanship is more important than raw power...I'm impressed. I came to the conclusion that you don't need a magnum to kill elk inside of 400 yards shortly after I bought a rangefinder and I am much happier now.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back