New to NM and elk hunting Unit 12

HazzardTM

I just got stationed here a few months ago so this is my first hunting season. I drew and elk tag for unit 12 for archery. Only this is I’ve lived most of my life in Louisiana and Florida and never even seen an elk. Any kind of solid advice y’all got to give is appreciated. I have a diamond outlaw bow and usually sling carbon express piledriver 250 but don’t know if that would take and elk or not. I look forward to hearing from y’all and thank you for your time.

Congrats Hazzard! I drew a unit 12 late rifle tag. Hoping for a good hunt! Good luck to ya.

welcome and congrats on your draw.....looks like you have your homework cut out for you. I recently found out the Eastman layer for ONx was nixed when I re-upped. Have fun with the prep and scouting. Head over to the archery forum. they can fix you up with the right arrow. I live in the "outback" so do my own bow and arrow work. Built my own bow-press and draw board. I have an arrow saw so I just buy the shafts and build. This year I drew one of the best rifle tags in New Mexico. I enjoy rifles too.

yep...very dry here this year.
Get a BLM map. Jimbo Williams has them @ feed store in Quemado.
Cattle have to drink...those tanks have water. Watch the tanks in morning & you will catch them leaving and maybe find them late.
Elk are very spread out this year.

yep...very dry here this year.
Get a BLM map. Jimbo Williams has them @ feed store in Quemado.
Cattle have to drink...those tanks have water. Watch the tanks in morning & you will catch them leaving and maybe find them late.
Elk are very spread out this year.
Hey Hank,

I drew the same tag again this year. I think I have a few dirt water holes I have my eyes on. How are the fires over there? Hope all is well for your area.

Bone dry away from any water tank. Fires are south & east of me. Just sandblasting here.

See ya again in a couple years.............lol

Bone dry away from any water tank. Fires are south & east of me. Just sandblasting here.

See ya again in a couple years.............lol
Hunt starts tomorrow. I’m out by Fence Lake currently. Heard one bugle this evening but that’s it. Talked to Fish and Game for the area. He said since we have had so much rain recently sitting on water isn’t working like it usually would as they are so spread out. My tag is for either sex so I’ll just take what I can get to put meat in the freezer for the family. Hope you’ve been well Hank.

They are hanging out near the lakes and big tanks around here. But not in numbers, they are spread out.
Plenty of food.
Have a bull bugling here and a hunter coming in at 1st light.

My brother lives in quemado and has the unit 12 cow hunt coming up next weekend. We tried scouting this last Friday but the only elk we found were right by town (and right outside his house but he lives on the unit 15 side of the road). All the dirt tanks we checked are frozen and no sign of anything trying to break through. Pretty darn chilly this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back