Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to hauling weight.

Bukwild3

Here in Louisiana where I live we don't have hills, we have the Mississippi river levee. Been using it to do elevation. During my hikes of around 3-4 miles my hands seem to swell a bit. In only hauling around 30lbs. The bag I have is a easton pickup 3000. I know it's not the best but seemed to be a good starting point. Is this a common thing, bad bag adjustment or something I'm missing. It's not a problem just feels different. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 0629160951-1.jpg
    0629160951-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 475
Get on youtube and search for pack fitting. It looks like that back has some adjustment in the yoke and load lifters. You likely need to adjust the torso length to do as Hank said.

Also, if you use that meat sling, take everything out of your main bag. Hanging weight that far away from your back could really jack up your back.

Good luck!

Don't be scared to tighten that waste belt down TIGHT. The middle of it should be close to right over the top of your hip bones. As Hank said, get that wait off your shoulders and on your hips.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll try and raise the yoke. It's sitting on my hips but there is some bottom pull that seems to pull across my shoulders. What do you use as weight? Right now I have lead from my lead sled.

Your hands swell bc you're losing a lot of liquids and you're dehydrated. Bring powdered gatorade in your pack and alternate water breaks with gatorade. And make sure you drink a ton of water throughout the day. My hands also swell way more noticeably if I've had a few beers the night before. Hydration is key.

Try a few different ways of packing your weight as well and figure out what's most comfortable. It differs depending on where you're strongest. On long days I'll adjust my heavy items to a different spot if I'm super tired and that can help a lot. Lots on great online tutorials, don't shy away from looking at backpacking magazine articles. Lots of great tips and tricks from the packing world out there that def apply to hunting.

I try to get 60% of weight on hips, rest on shoulders. A quality pack will make 100 pounds feel like 70 or 70 like 50. I use bottles of water in my pack for practice hikes. Find some stairs such as at a high school stadium and hike up those repeatedly. You can't simulate elevation but you can simulate mountain slopes.

When you are packing for real then center the weight in the pack left to right and towards bottom. If the weight is to one side you will tilt and if the weight is up high in the pack then you will canter forward and sway plus more likely you fall if you have a misstep with center of gravity above the hips. If your rifle or bow is going to be placed on the pack then be sure that is strapped on tight and not going to jiggle or sway as you hike.

I start with a 30 pound total pack weight then add 5 pounds a week until am at 70 pounds. Takes about 2 months at that rate. As the weight goes up, you will find you take smaller steps and feet are under your shoulders since the weight forces that adjustment. If you get hot spots on your feet, stop and make sure no wrinkles in your socks and tighten the laces. I usually tighten my laces after the first 10 minutes of hiking. Lacing is an art. You want some crossing points that lock the laces from slipping at top of foot and at ankle. Here is an example and locking the heel is key to keeping your feet happy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHbsE89ces

On a multiple day hike, is not enough to dry your socks between reuse. The salt crystals are similar to bits of sand and will chew up your skin. Wash out the socks. I use a liner sock then a heavy sock over the liner. I wash out the liner sock. If you also need to wash out the heavy sock then you have two pairs so you can hang the other pair on your pack to dry unless it rains.

I am almost in the same position, we do have hills, but no elevation.
My pack is adjusted so the weight is on my hips, and as i raise my pack weight i will start to use hiking poles to assist.
I have found a great way to add weight, i save up 4 pint milk bottles and fill with water, each one weighs 5lb.
On a humid day i can quickly get through 2 litres of water in my hydration bladder during a 8 mile hike, but not a problem, i just use the water i am carrying!
Cheers
Richard

Learn how to carry a pack and also how to pack a pack, youtube or even better local hiking supply store will help you fit your equiptment. For weight I use bulk bullets since I reload and water and it's real easy to get weight what I want. I live at oceanfront and by month before hunting season 60 pounds will do 10 miles on my back in practice hikes, your building muscles, confidence and learning your gear and what works for you. Occasionally while on practice hikes I do lunges and squats with pack on to boost them muscles also. You will find what works for you but always hydrate, day before is best to start. And no matter what keep it fun!

C

I did have a couple beer the night before. Lol but that has never happened to me before. Glad to know never would have thought. Felt fine but I guess 87 degs. and 100% humidity will get you. And I happen to have some pellets in the shop from this winter! Thanks yall.

When you are packing for real then center the weight in the pack left to right and towards bottom. If the weight is to one side you will tilt and if the weight is up high in the pack then you will canter forward and sway plus more likely you fall if you have a misstep with center of gravity above the hips.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Your general premise is right, that if you stack the weight too high you will be unsteady, but you generally do not want the weight low in your pack. That will make your load lifters ineffective. I recommend putting the center of the weight around 1/2 - 2/3 of the way up your back, and tight to your body.

This image shows it decently. Also note the angle of the load lifters. This is extremely important!

backpack_loading.gif

Last edited:
I'm curious how dehydration causes swelling of the hands? I can see having the weight to much on the shoulders compressing the neurovascular bundle and it resulting in decreased venous return and swollen hands. I thought that dehydration results in a tenting of the skin and not swelling. Perhaps I am wrong and just curious.

Great weight distribution advice above. Once you have the pack loaded correctly and fitted, you would be amazed at how much weight seems like nothing. I'm not familiar with the pack you're using, and it probably is, but a quality pack is essential.

Getting the weight off the shoulders and on the hips is vital. When you have too much weight on your shoulders it seems like you can't really take a full breath.
I also fully agree with having fresh socks. If the bottoms of your feet get sore you are in trouble. Socks take up little room in a pack and weigh next to nothing. Take a rest to drink some water and air out your feet till they are nice and dry and put on a fresh pair of socks and I assure you your feet will feel wonderful.

I'm curious how dehydration causes swelling of the hands? I can see having the weight to much on the shoulders compressing the neurovascular bundle and it resulting in decreased venous return and swollen hands. I thought that dehydration results in a tenting of the skin and not swelling. Perhaps I am wrong and just curious.

When your body feels like it's low on water, it goes into preservation mode and causes your hands to swell because of water retention.

Get familiar with all the straps (Chest/Hip/Shoulder/Load lifter) on your pack. The longer the hike and the heavier the pack, the more I play with the straps DURING the hike. I change things up constantly to adjust where the load rest and and relieve pressure points. And yes, I will tighten that hip belt as tight as I can.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Your general premise is right, that if you stack the weight too high you will be unsteady, but you generally do not want the weight low in your pack. That will make your load lifters ineffective. I recommend putting the center of the weight around 1/2 - 2/3 of the way up your back, and tight to your body.

This image shows it decently. Also note the angle of the load lifters. This is extremely important!

backpack_loading.gif

Old dog here. Learning new tricks. I have internal frame and will shift weight some so more closely resemble the ideal. Thanks!

Update. Did 3 miles yesterday. I didn't do an adjustment on the pack but I did hydrate more than normal and made a conscious effort to drink as I walked. Didn't make adjustments to the pack as I wanted to test each suggestion individually. My pack is load heavy on the bottom and not to the center and the weight is on my hips. The load seems to be spread more across my chest instead of my shoulders so I left it the way it was for now. I saw less swelling. From what I read the hydration is not something that happens over night rather over days so I will continue that. I think I may not have notice ever before because when working out you use your hands and Probably help alleviate fluid build up and now that I'm just walking and not using my hands this is the noticable side effect. I will try the weight adjustment in a day or two just to make sure this hydration the is it. This will give me a better knowledge of my body telling to drink more. Thanks for all your help. Can't wait to hopefully put real weight in it this fall!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back