Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Tire Opinions

I prioritize snow performance and currently have Duratracs, which are probably my favorite off road capable tire for snow and some mud. The Falkens are great too, as are the Cooper AT3 and BFG Ko2. I’ve had a set of Cooper S/T Maxx too, and they were also good.

I've had all these as well, all are good. Currently on my first set of Duratracs and liking them very much, they are a little noisy on the highway though. I bought them after noticing most of the game wardens had them, figured if they used them the tires would be good for me too. The KO2 and AT3 XLTs are good but seem to lose their grip on snow and ice long before they need to be replaced just based on tread depth.

Last edited:
Went through this whole process back in the fall. Ended up going with the General Grabber ATXs. Time will tell how they wear, but I was very, very happy with the performance of them this fall in Colorado and out at the family ranch. Road noise isn't bad at all and the ride is perfectly fine for a D Rated AT tire.

Very similar tread pattern to the KO2s at about $50 less per tire (at least for the size that I run on my truck). General was doing a $100 rebate back in the fall so that helped too.

What tires should I look at? Why?
Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

Been a fabulous winter tire for me as well as off-road when I do go there.

I was pointed to it from our local farm coop who puts it on their farm service trucks to go out to corn dryers and such.

I can tug this around in 10” of snow in 2WD.

EE65D363-3A95-4409-8397-1680D17ECAD8.png

Lots of good options have been mentioned, a couple that I didn't notice were Toyo M-55 and Maxxis Razr AT. On my pickup I often drive as many or more miles on dirt & gravel as I do on pavement, so my experiences might not be the best for most drivers. My current tires are the Maxxis Razr AT and so far I'm really liking them, not too noisy on pavement and not bad for throwing rocks when I'm on crushed gravel.

I have a Tacoma but use E rated tires. I don’t tow, but drive a ton of forest service and other logging roads.

Falken wildpeak are currently on it, zero complaints. A great tire for my needs. save a couple hundred bucks compared with a good year or bf Goodrich.

Durarac were good but got noisy. KO2 was a great tire also, it wore like iron, but I preferred the previous 2 in snow.

I had a set of dynapro at, didn’t really care for them much.

It's nice to see that there are people happy about the money they spent on Toyo Opn Country tires. I had a set several years ago that I replaced before they were halfway worn. Any wet pavement and it was like driving on ball bearings. Saying they provided piss poor traction would be an insult to piss.
Another thing about the Toyo’s. They are eating up the aluminim on the bead on one of my trucks. Tire guy said they see it alot. Back to BFG’s for me.

i agree with the others that said falken wildpeak. i've used 4wd a lot less since having them, great for the dry road, wet road, snow, mud, good tread wear, not super loud, and not terribly priced

I have settled on KO2's as my go to tire. Generally they are fairly competitively priced. I think my last 4 or 5 sets other than factory tires have been KO2s.

They seem to be a good balance for me. Remarkably durable and quiet for a somewhat aggressive tread pattern.
I think that's why the shop called them "Dad Tires" just a solid, reasoned decision based on years of driving experience and countless garage fridge beers.

I have the Cooper AT3's. They do well in modest mud, snow and rocky terrain. An added plus, they are not very loud on the hard ball. They do tend to collect small stones in the treads though.

I have had Toyo Open Country AT3's on my Colorado for about a year now. Im pretty happy with them. They aren't the greatest highway tire but traction is really really good offroad and in snow. I had Cooper AT3's on before the Toyo's and they were solid too. Maybe a little more 50/50 tire. They wore kinda funny tho and would start to howl pretty bad if I didn't rotate them about every 2500 miles or so.

Second this Coopers we're good on my Tundra and Toyo AT3s are on there now, also good.

Have tried several and have been very happy with Duratracs on my Tacoma. They are a little on the heavy side but best AT (almost MT) tire I have found. I haven’t had wear issues with them on my Tacoma. They seem to be most common tire with all the guys I work with who drive trucks. They do real well on muddy CO forest roads and on snow and ice.

BFG a/t has done me right for the last 15 years and many sets
Not much for snow in Texas, but did great when snow does come !
duratrac is my next best thing except in desert thorn and cactus

Attachments

• 0BBF001F-8438-4A5C-9994-C870B20F13F8.jpeg
    0BBF001F-8438-4A5C-9994-C870B20F13F8.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 12
  • C71E346C-9443-4A47-845C-6FC8C8D0D053.jpeg
    C71E346C-9443-4A47-845C-6FC8C8D0D053.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 12
I had 2 Chevy Silverados, one with bfg all terrain ko2 and the other with nitto Terra grappler. The nittos got better mileage but the bfg did more off the snow and mud. Never got stuck either way though.

Anybody try the Toyo Open Country R/Ts? I've had the A/Ts and they were okay but I seem to remember them not handling wet pavement very well.

Have you priced tires lately?

That's going to influence more than anything.

I have 3trucks. Newest is 10 years old.

Buy a cheaper set of mud tires, and some junk yard rims.

Takes 20 min to change tires.

The other 90% of the year run Bridgestones.

They last forever. And be honest, you'd be better off with cheaper, off brand mudders, a harbor freight winch, and a set of chains, than paying multiple thousands for tires that look good, and wear out fast.

My .02

I used to swear by those trusty M-55 or 606 Toyos from Les Schwab. Can you even get those now?

I had a complete failure with the Dunlop 4 plies that were on my truck when I got it.
I went to the 6 ply back country from Les Schwab. Meh.

We had an alignment crisis on a road trip in January and I got a set of Goodyear Wranglers. (Ultraterrain AT) So far I'm impressed for the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back