PEAX Equipment

New rifle suggestions

steveshuntn1

I’m not a guy who buys a new gun very often. My 30-06 Remington 700 is almost 35 years old and accuracy is not that great anymore. My main rifle is a single shot H&R 444 marlin I bought ten years ago that I deer hunt with ( I don’t have to track deer anymore after the shot!) I decided to start hunting out west beginning this year and want to get a new rifle. I’m leaning towards the Browning X bolt long range and topping it with a Leupold VX cds scope. Looking hard at the .308 and the 6.8 western. That 444 marlin has a punch to it so I’m wanting a little less recoil as I get older. What do you folks who hunt out west suggests?

If you want a new rifle definitely go for it. That 6.8 looks interesting, I loved my 270 wsm but it had feeding issues and I got tired of messing with it.
I’d add a vote for rebarreling the 30-06. If you don’t want another one you have a platform for all kinds of options - 25-06, 270, 280, 280AI and it just goes on from there especially if you mess with reloading!

Either will do you well, with my personal preference being .308.
I can find any ammo I want for the .308 right now, and it’s a well tested caliber too. That 6.8 does look good on what I’ve read so far.
Don't let me get in the way of buying a new rifle, but you might also consider a new barrel and some tweaking of your current Rem 700. My guess is it can shoot well again for less than the cost of a new rifle and a .30-06 will serve you really well.
I have considered that. It’s been a really good rifle over the years and you can’t go wrong with the 30-06. I may have a little itch for a brand new toy I’m thinking.

I can find any ammo I want for the .308 right now, and it’s a well tested caliber too. That 6.8 does look good on what I’ve read so far.

I have considered that. It’s been a really good rifle over the years and you can’t go wrong with the 30-06. I may have a little itch for a brand new toy I’m thinking.
So go buy the new toy and have this one recrowndd

Lots of new cartridges and plenty of old favorites. If you're looking at new comers I'd say 280AI or maybe 6.8. Old stand bys in sub magnum are still killing plenty of critters-270 Win, .308, 7mm-08. I would also be mindful of ammo availability or components if you reload.
BTW I really like the looks of that Browning, should be a good one

I recently purchased a bergara in 30-06 so far I love it. Definitely the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. However I haven't taken it on hunt yet so we will see. But I'm confident it will work just fine.

What critters are you planning on hunting? Ranges? Do you reload?

308 is light if you’re thinking elk, especially much over 200 yards. I love the 308. It was my first rifle. It isn’t enough for moose in my opinion.

6.8 looks bada$$, but will it hold on? Will you be able to find ammo? It looks like a great all-around cartridge; solid performer that is shooter friendly.

So go buy the new toy and have this one recrowndd
I will be buying the browning it’s a sweet gun. I was just wondering what the guys who hunt out west where the animals are bigger and shot opportunities are further out preference was. There’s an overload of information about elk hunting calibers and I don’t know anyone who hunts them or western game. Probably putting more thought to it than needed.

What critters are you planning on hunting? Ranges? Do you reload?

308 is light if you’re thinking elk, especially much over 200 yards. I love the 308. It was my first rifle. It isn’t enough for moose in my opinion.

6.8 looks bada$$, but will it hold on? Will you be able to find ammo? It looks like a great all-around cartridge; solid performer that is shooter friendly.
I don’t reload. Elk will be the biggest critter most likely. I would love to hunt moose but that’s a bucket list hunt for sure. I’m gonna hunt elk, mule deer, and pronghorn every year as long as I’m able. I wouldn’t shoot over 500 yards and would do all I could to cut that distance in half if possible. I think that 6.8 is awesome as well and should be deadly on elk.

Ammo would be a consideration in my book. 6.8 hits the shed occasionally but very few people have the rifles, if the rifles get more popular finding the ammo might be like 6.5 prc which is next to impossible. Every time I have been somewhere that sells ammo they have 3-5 different options of 308 and plenty of it.

I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 that was built in 1976. It was starting to have some consistency issues when at the range. I had the barrel crowned, it is back to being a shooter. Just my experience. New guns are always fun.
Or go to a 280 or 270 if you want less recoil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back